Taneesha Porter reflects on her time at SSU

COURTESY // Taneesha Porter
COURTESY // Taneesha Porter

Sonoma State will be sending the 2024 graduates into their careers or graduate school as graduation approaches. Each student came to Sonoma State with certain goals and expectations to help shape their college experience. On a campus with great diversity, there are many different organizations and clubs to become involved with. The social aspect of college is critical and has lasting effects whether that be long-term friendships or even networking for future career opportunities. 

The STAR was able to sit down with Taneesha Porter, a fourth-year Sociology and Women’s and Gender Studies major in Associated Students as a student government representative. She is also the Vice President and Treasurer of The Black Student Union as well as the President of the Women’s and Gender Studies club. Taneesha’s responses bring a sense of connectedness with other organizations and individuals on campus.

Q: How has your involvement with Sonoma State organizations impacted your time as a student? 

“It has been very influential in a good way, I got to connect with a lot of great people and network. It definitely takes a lot of time in all of these clubs and organizations especially considering that I work in Associated Students as well.”

Q: What are your plans after graduation?

My first step is to take a semester-long break. After the fall semester I will be registering in grad school. I will be going to another college because unfortunately Sonoma State does not offer a social work master’s degree. I am in between social work and public health, which is something I just learned about. 

Q: What is one of your favorite memories at Sonoma State? 

My favorite memory would probably be the black joy fest that happened here on campus this year in the Seawolf Plaza. It was very great to see everyone from different backgrounds coming together to enjoy and embrace black culture. It was a celebration that included the mayor as well as other speakers such as poets and artists. 

Q: What is some advice that you would give to a new student starting at Sonoma State University? 

Since Sonoma State is so small,  it is important to find your community. There are places for you. Being an African American student, there are not many of us here so when the Black Student Union was bigger it was great but now it is smaller with less student involvement. Find your community and people you connect with which will make the whole college process easier.

Q: What was the reason for a decline in attendance in the Black Student Union?

The BSU organization was big and had a lot of people who came in the beginning which slowly trickled down. I just think that a lot of people don’t know about BSU or they are not connected. That is why it is important to find your community and people.