Greek chapters compete in “Greek Olympics”

With spring time now fully here, it means that it’s once again time for the Greek Olympics.
Courtesy | Sonoma State FSL
Phi Delta Theta and Alpha Xi Delta hold their trophies as they pose for a winners picture.
Courtesy | Sonoma State FSL Phi Delta Theta and Alpha Xi Delta hold their trophies as they pose for a winners picture.

The Greek Olympics is an event that happens this time every year where different chapters from all across Sonoma State get together to participate in a series of events against one another. In the past, the Greek Olympics has usually just contained the fraternities competing against one another, however this year in an effort to bring more inclusivity across all of Greek life here, the Greek Olympics now involves all of the sororities and fraternities competing and sharing time with one another. The event takes place over two days with 13 total chapters playing. The indoor sports involved were Basketball, Volleyball, Indoor Soccer, and Dodgeball, with the outdoor sports being Flag Football, Spikeball, 4×100 relay race and Tug of War.  

Chris Schaefer, the IFC president of the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity had this to say about the games including all of the chapters this year, “So far the best memory I have from this event is seeing every Greek organization together. Very rarely do we all see everyone and this year we decided we wanted all of Greek Life to come together in unity and enjoy a little friendly competition with bragging rights as well.” This event encapsulates what many hope Greek life can be for them, which is a community where everyone can come together and bond and enjoy each other’s time that they spend together.

The Olympics format is done in a bracket style for each sport where each fraternity or sorority gets points for winning the bracket for an event and the fraternity and sorority with the most points at the end of the two days wins the Greek Olympics. After the two days came to an end, the chapters of Alpha Xi Delta sorority and the Phi Delta Theta fraternity came out victorious as the two winners of the olympics. 

Alex Doyle, a third year art studio major from the Alpha Xi Delta sorority had this to say on the event and how it brought everyone in Greek life closer together. “I think the whole event was executed really well and everybody was able to cheer each other on when we weren’t competing and so I think overall the week was a big success. I also feel like it gave everyone a good time to hang out with each other and it brought us closer together as we were able to bond a lot.” Alex was a key member in helping the Alpha Xi Delta sorority to a Greek Olympics championship. 

On the first day, all of the indoor sports were played. Phi Delta Theta fraternity took three out of four events and began the weekend in dominating fashion. Alpha Xi Delta soroity matched that energy, as they as well took three out of four events. It was safe to say each organization had the momentum heading outside to the second day sports. On the second day, both chapters picked up right where they left off, taking another three out of four events each. Kappa Delta Zeta won Tug of War and Alpha Epsilon Pi won the volleyball. Overall the weekend appeared to be a huge success all across the board and it is sure to be something that continues into future years as it becomes a staple event of Greek life here at Sonoma State.