“What I was meant to do:” Kinesiology graduate starts career as a neuro exercise specialist

Alumni Leilani Hallman specialize in helping individuals with spinal cord injuries and neurological disorders.
courtesy | Leilani Hallman

Sonoma State Alumni Leilani Hallman studied kinesiology during her time at SSU and has secured a job in her desired field that she enjoys. 

Currently, Hallman works at SCI-FIT, short for Spinal Cord Injury Functional Integrated Therapy. Leilani’s official title is a neuro exercise specialist. At SCI-FIT Leilani works with clients who have had spinal injuries, neurological disorders, multiple sclerosis, and strokes. Hallmani is able to apply her knowledge and assist patients with various medical backgrounds. 

“I have always been interested in health, fitness, and sports,” Hallman said. “I saw the effects of proper medical care and what that means for people and their families.” While at SSU, Hallman took courses in motor control, biomechanics, exercise physiology, injuries, and other related sports medical topics that helped her throughout her journey. 

I saw the impact I was having on people and I knew that this was what I was meant to do.

— Leilani Hallman, SSU Alumni

By playing sports (she was a volleyball player) and studying kinesiology in school it has helped Hallman learn about the human body and its basic functions. “I know enough to be able to assess someone on the spot and see what I can do to help them with their specific needs, with regard to physical therapy,” she said.

Some of the first field experience Hallman got during her Junior year at SSU was in a program designed for students with cerebral palsy. “They offered me a position where I worked under a licensed physical therapist where I gained helpful experience in pediatric care and special needs,” she said. 

“My passion for my practice developed more throughout my journey as a student. I saw the impact I was having on people and I knew that this was what I was meant to do,” she said. Hallman said that she has the ability now to improve people’s quality of life, and it’s very rewarding. 

Hallman said that it is important to retain your knowledge after you graduate.“Without this experience and my degree, I definitely would not have the great job I have now.”