Preview: Lip Jam 2015

exc-54d9beb1e4b0ada89fef04ef
exc-54d9beb1e4b0ada89fef04ef

People dream of traveling the country and seeing the sights that America has to offer, but money and time often get in the way of doing so. So pack light and get ready to embark on a journey across the country on Feb. 28 at the Green Music Center.

Join Alpha Gamma Delta this month as they host their annual philanthropic event, Lip Jam, to raise money for the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation supporting Diabetes Education and Awareness. As of 2014, diabetes is on the rise with a staggering 29.1 million people in just the U.S. alone affected. Approximately three fourths of this number accounts only for diagnosed people.

Every year, Alpha Gamma Delta puts on a lip-syncing and dance contest where the performances are judged by Sonoma State University faculty, teachers and local representatives. Each group puts together elaborate costumes and sets to win over the audience. 

This year’s theme is “See America in One Night.” Participants from Greek organizations across Sonoma State must select a state, and choose two songs to perform, including Frank Sinatra’s “Come Fly with Me.” From the smooth jazz sounds of New Orleans to the hot and saucy sounds of salsa in Miami, it’s sure to be a party.

The anticipation from people taking part in the event is building and they are looking forward to putting on a great show. 

“This is my first time participating in the event. In fact, my whole family and friends are attending,” said Marissa Hanneman, a member of Gamma Phi Beta. “I’m very excited to see what other sororities have in store as well as showing everyone what we have prepared. It’s always great when people can come out to have a good time while supporting a great cause.”

Spectators are also getting pumped up for a night they won’t forget.

“A bunch of my friends have been talking about Lip Jam and how they’re preparing for it. They showed me videos of past Lip Jams and it looks really cool,” said freshman Stephanie Ramirez. “I’m excited to see what they have planned for this year.”

This year, there are high hopes for an even better turnout than last year’s successful event. 

“Last year’s Lip Jam ‘SSU’s Best Dance Crew’ was able to raise nearly $37,000,” said Erica Pecho, Alpha Gamma Delta Public Relations Chair. “The Delta Rho chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta became the top contributing chapter to the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation internationally, having raised more than $70,000 over the past biennium.”

Pecho said Alpha Gamma Delta sold out all tickets for the event, which will fill the entire 1,400 seats at the Green Music Center. The community will come together for this philanthropic event.

The Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation has been actively supporting the cause to bring awareness and education to the community. Over the years they have participated in fundraisers, walks and community service to raise awareness. However, Lip Jam is their biggest event of the year. 

This year in particular, they are anticipating raising enough money to help contribute to the one in 11 Americans who have been diagnosed with diabetes. The money raised from this event goes towards medical costs of people who are affected by diabetes.

The event is open to the public. Tickets for students are $15 to $20 and $20 to 25 for non-students. Tickets are available online at tickets.sonoma.edu as well as the Student Center box office.