A new yoga class eases midterm stress

Are you feeling overwhelmed by classes and all of your other responsibilities? A Stress Reduction Class is now being offered at the Recreation Center and is a laid-back yoga class focusing on relaxation and breathing. The class is on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. and is led by Kim Purdy, an executive assistant at Sonoma State, who is also an experienced yoga instructor.

There were about 15 students in attendance and all equipment was provided. Typically, the class is brought back around midterms every semester to combat stress. Purdy mentioned how she wants to keep the class going for the entirety of the semester rather than limiting the stress reduction class to midterms. In unison attendees explained that they would benefit from the year long class.

It seemed as though students were very comfortable and calm in this class, and the desire to regularly attend is understandable.

According to The American Institute of Stress, 8 out of every ten college students experience frequent stress. While it may seem like a part of the normal college experience, chronic stress can lead to negative impacts on health. Rajita Sinha, PhD, director of Yale Medicine’s Interdisciplinary Stress Center, states that chronic stress can lead to low energy, unfocused or cloudy thinking, change in appetite, and emotional withdrawal. Stress is inevitable, especially among college students, but managing stress can lead to an improvement in health.

Sinha also states that, “Building stress reduction skills,” is key to the management of stress. The class that is offered at SSU is a way to build upon Seawolves stress reduction skills. 

There was calm music, the lights were dim, and the atmosphere was very quiet besides the vocal instruction of Purdy. Upon observation Students were focused on the breathing exercises. The science behind yoga and stress relief is backed with medical evidence and isn’t just an assumption.

A study done at the Ilam University of Medical Sciences found that, “Yoga has an effective role in reducing stress, anxiety, and depression. Thus, it can be used as complementary medicine.” While serious stress and anxiety disorders do require formal treatment and medication, yoga can be another form of treatment, with or without medication. 

With COVID-19 restrictions ending, the world is still recovering from the aftermath of the pandemic. The World Health Organization (WHO) states that, “In the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, global prevalence of anxiety and depression increased by a massive 25%.” The WHO also reports that young people and women had the largest increase. Transitioning back to in-person can be a difficult time for some students, but this class is a resource open to any and all students

If stress reduction isn’t something of interest, Purdy also instructs a “flowy and intense” yoga session on Mondays at 5:30 p.m. at the Recreation Center. The Stress Reduction Class is meant to unwind and relax, while the Monday session centered around aerobic exercise. 

Stress and anxiety is normal, but finding ways to combat it will improve your health. For any questions regarding the class, contact Kim Purdy [email protected].