First annual Saturdazed jump starts summer break

exc-553f06fae4b0a8d8b1a636cf
exc-553f06fae4b0a8d8b1a636cf

T-shirts, shorts, sandals, barbecues and plenty of warm weather. The anticipation of summer being just around the corner has everyone, especially students, yearning for different ways to relax during their extended time off.

And nothing says relaxation quite like live music, drinks and food. 

Students and Sonoma County residents can expect this and much more when Edgework Entertainment and Second Octave Entertainment bring Saturdazed Music and Arts Festival to the Sonoma Mountain Village Event Center in Rohnert Park on May 9, from 1-7 p.m.

Although Sonoma State University is constantly putting on different events to keep students busy and entertained, students are always looking for exciting activities to do off campus. The creators of Edgework Entertainment want to help students fill that void. 

The company put together FLI HIGH Nightclub, Rohnert Park’s Premier Nightclub for College Students, which debuted in February and sold out to more than 500 students. 

“We saw a need and serious demand for a social scene in Rohnert Park, specifically for Sonoma State students,” said co-founder of Edgework Entertainment Adam Loria. “After the nightclub, we wanted to create another music related event for the community that was not exclusive to just Sonoma State students this time, and we created Saturdazed.”

With this being the first year the event is being put on, having big names artists like rapper Shwayze, alternative reggae-rock trio Radical Something, and g-punk band New Beat Fund, they are sure to attract a wide range of guests. More than 1,500 people are expected to be in attendance to make this year’s event debut one to remember.

Organizing Saturdazed didn’t happen in a day. But with dedication and high aspirations, it was all possible. “We all are working day in and day out on Saturdazed while we are also in school and involved in many other extracurricular activities,” said co-founder of Edgework Entertainment Darren Fong. “It becomes very overwhelming and difficult to juggle at times, but the Edgework Entertainment team is extremely passionate and motivated, so I know it will feel that much more rewarding when the day finally comes.”

The event’s timing couldn’t have been more perfect being that it will give students a last hoorah before having to buckle down and focus for finals. 

Being that most music festivals price points range from $150 to upwards of $500, most students aren’t able to afford those luxuries. However, the guys over at Edgework Entertainment have made sure this event is affordable so that students won’t feel they have to miss out. 

“I’ve been wanting to go to Coachella for years now, but have never been able to afford the expensive price tag,” said junior Michaela Harris. “Even though there isn’t a huge lineup for this festival, it’s still worth it to listen to live music and not feel like I’m spending money I don’t have.”

In addition to live music, attendees can expect to enjoy gourmet food and drinks from local favorites like Lagunitas.

Saturdazed welcomes guests of all ages to attend for a full day of good vibes and entertainment. Tickets are on sale now on eventbrite.com for $25 and will be sold at the door for $30.