Remembering to give back during the holidays

exc-56664b5fcbced644c8a3f58b
exc-56664b5fcbced644c8a3f58b

The Winter Holiday season has arrived and people are in full throttle in searching for gifts for their loved ones, friends, co-workers and peers. 

As busy college students, interns and professionals, we tend to not take notice that fifteen percent of the population lives below the poverty line. 

As students of Sonoma State University, there are an array of methods students can do to make an impactful impact on the community, by lending a helping hand to those in a sufficient need. 

Many businesses and organizations are putting together toys and food drives throughout Sonoma County and the greater Northern-California region. 

Students can make a profound difference by volunteering and assiting in food drives or simply giving their time, a treasurable value. Volunteers are needed on Dec. 22 in Cotati during a food drive. 

All volunteers are welcome to come help assemble food boxes and deliver them all throughout the County of Cotati. This food will go to those in need in Cotati. If volunteers have any questions or need more details, they may contact the California Homemakers Association at (707)591-9572.

If one is busy with finals coming their way and have no time to volunteer, they can also donate food and toys. One’s donation could help out a family enjoy a simple Christmas dinner and celebrate a gathering.

In Sonoma County, all Redwood Credit Union Banks are collecting toy and food donations for local non-profits. 

Through Dec. 18, people are encouraged to bring new toys or non-perishable foods to any Redwood Credit Union for holiday distribution. 

All of these toys will help fund the Sonoma County Volunteer Center secret santa program and Empire Food Bank. Redwood Credit Union Banks have collected more than 1,500 gifts as well as over 1,100 foods that have been donated by members of the community. To find a the nearest location, go to redwoodcu.org for a list of Redwood Credit Unions.

The place thousands of students call home, needs help this holiday season. The holidays are much more than just receiving gifts, but giving back to the community.  One small kind gesture can change someone’s Christmas and make a memory that will be everlasting.