Gender bender to promote LGBTQA+ community

exc-570343c1f699bbaade649dfb
exc-570343c1f699bbaade649dfb

Sonoma State University is bringing back a popular tradition this year. Associated Students Productions and Queer Straight Alliance are teaming up to put on Gender Bender and Rainbow Prom. On April 28 at 9 p.m. in the Ballroom, students will be able to see their fellow seawolves on stage dancing and lip-syncing the night away. 

Gender Bender was a Sonoma State tradition a while back, but last year ASP and QSA brought back the event. 

“We are building off the great event that happened last year and putting an even greater emphasis on the LGBTQA+ community while still keeping it a fun, entertaining event,” said Colin Chinn, sophomore and co-director of the cultural and current events committee working to plan this event. ASP and QSA are hoping to create a safe space for all students to express themselves and have fun on stage. 

Whether students want to have a rap battle, tap to a broadway tune or just dance it out with your friends, ASP and QSA have made it clear that Gender Bender is a place where anyone is welcome. Students are able to sign up for Gender Bender by emailing [email protected]

QSA President Harper Tadross, a sophomore women’s and gender studies major, got involved with the event last year and is continuing to work with ASP and Chinn to organize the event. 

“I heard about the event from other QSA members and they’ve said that the event has not happened in a few years, so I asked the cultural and current [committee] and the event developed from there,” said Tadross. 

This year, ASP and QSA are hoping to increase attendance and create awareness and understanding about the gender spectrum. 

“This event allows people to be themselves and to raise more understanding about how gender is more than just masculine and feminine,” said Tadross. 

For more information on the event visit the Gender Bender and Rainbow Prom Facebook event hosted by the Sonoma State ASP page.