Earth week to emphasize service and donation

exc-5715c61c22482effba72e06c
exc-5715c61c22482effba72e06c

One in 50 adults traded in their vehicle for a more fuel-efficient hybrid, electric or alternative fuel vehicle in the past six months according to Reader’s Digest. 

With Earth Week beginning this week, it’s important for Sonoma State University students to learn about the different ways to better treat the Earth. This week there will be plenty of opportunities for students to get involved and learn how adopt more envrionemntally friendly practices in their daily life.

To kick off the week, Dr. Seuss’ “The Lorax” will be playing on the LoboVision screen on Wednesay at 7:30 p.m. The Lorax is a cartoon film, originally created in 1972 and remade in 2012, about a young boy who learns from the Lorax how to take care of the Earth. 

The Earth Day Fair will take place Thursday on Person Lawn at 8 a.m. Students who choose to take an alternative form of transportation to school will be rewarded with free tea, coffee, Yerba Mate and snacks. 

Students will have the chance to visit the different booths participating in the fair and can learn about plant-based diets, composting and how to make “do it yourself” household products.

Following the fair, there will be live music and free yoga available in the Seawolf Plaza. An e-waste and clothing drive will also be available for students to donate their un-used goods which will be held outside of the Jean and Charles Schulz Information Center. 

Students can donate both clothing and shoes to Restyle Market. All donations will be sold at their thrift shop and proceeds will be used to fund different programs they put on. Students are encouraged to visit OrgSync to learn more information about Thursday’s festivities.

Friday is the last day for students to participate in Earth Week. Friday’s activities will revolve around volunteer work in the community. Students can volunteer at the Butterfly Garden Restoration, the Steel Creek Clean Up and Bayer Farm. Visit seawolfliving.com to sign up for the different volunteer opportunities.

On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday students will be able to learn more about the Earth and the positives and negatives that it is currently facing. Students who are interested can also volunteer their time in order to make a difference. Every good cause starts with awareness and Earth Week is bringing that awareness to Sonoma State.