Campus fashion watch: Coachella edition

exc-571ef57bd210b8548ed86355
exc-571ef57bd210b8548ed86355

Flower crowns, fringe and flash tattoos – Coachella fashion has turned into a phenomenon. The outfits seen at this annual music festival are not everyday outfits, but are picked out with a purpose. 

Each year the style changes just slightly, allowing for new innovative ways to change the meaning of “Boho Chic.” 

At this year’s Coachella in Indio, CA, much to many people’s surprise, the flower crown has been replaced and the choker necklace has stepped in to take its place. 

All different styles and types of chokers could be seen on women throughout the festival. 

This 90s hit recently made a minor comeback in some of the mainstream areas of fashion, but its rise to power will probably been seen soon after its popularity at Coachella. 

For the ladies, many styles stayed a top choice from last year. The flowy tops were still a hit. This year however, they were off the shoulder. 

The peasant top with the off the shoulder sleeves was among the most common top choice for women. They could be paired with jeans, maxi skirts or shorts. 

Another popular style for women was the tied top. Tying the bottom of a shirt into a knot made a new appearance at this year’s festival.

Bralettes also sprang into the mainstream fashion this year. At Coachella, they weren’t just bralettes – they were tops. 

Many women could be seen sporting just the bralette paired with their pants, shorts, or skirts. Paired with the various styles of tops were all different kinds of cardigans.

Some long, some short, some see through, some lace, some knit as the options were endless.

Guys have it a little easier when it comes to finding the right top. Many men like to sport a bare chest at this event. 

It gets pretty hot and being shirtless is a great way to avoid those terrible tan lines. 

However, for those guys who don’t like to show off their body – Hawaiian shirts and plain or patterned tees were popular choices. 

Lace and see-through apparel was also frequently chosen to be the fabric of choice. Crochet dresses with just undergarments or a bathing suit underneath. A popular theme at this year’s event was skin.

Showing some skin wasn’t just popular for the women. Shorts and short shorts were very in for men as well. Who said showing a little leg was only for ladies?

Shoes are also very important when it comes to having just the right outfit. 

The shoe of choice for the ladies this year seemed to be tall lace-up gladiator sandals.

It is highly recommended to leave sandals or flip flops at home when going to Coachella due to the high amount of walking, dancing, and jumping that takes place over the course of the three days. 

Of course everyone knows that for women beauty is pain. But, for the men it doesn’t have to be. Popular shoe choices for men were Converse, Dr. Martens and TOMS.

Beyond the essentials, half the battle of picking the right outfit is having the right accessories. For both men and women, an accessory can make or break an outfit.

One of the most important accessories for all genders are bags. 

Many ladies chose to bring cross body purses for ease and style. There is no worrying about dropping it or it hurting your shoulder. For guys, the backpack is the common go-to.

Hats are also extremely popular, especially because attendees are in the sun all day long. This year, the wide-brimmed hat was the style of choice.

Big chunky statement necklaces were still in, as well as the upper armband. Body chains and the flash tattoos were also still in style. It seems though that the Bindi was left in 2015.

As this year’s festival comes to a close, it’s time to start keeping an eye out for what to wear next year. 

Will those who go show up in this year’s attire or will they have been able to keep up with the ever-shifting Coachella fashion?