Circle of Sisterhood helps promote female success

Worldwide, women face poverty, human trafficking and are unable to contribute to their economy because of their lack of education. Panhellenic at Sonoma State University has teamed up with Circle of Sisterhood, distributing information about the organization to students on campus. The goal is to fundraise enough money for women in underprivileged communities across the globe to attend school. 

Panhellenic members so far have raised $57 of their $800 goal with tabling this week. Tabling for school supplies and donations from students on campus began last week in the Seawolf Plaza. 

Upcoming events include having speaker Nicki Croly, Circle of Sisterhood campus resource manager, present on campusOct. 24 at 7 p.m. in Ballroom A. Croly’s presentation will include information about why Circle of Sisterhood was founded along with what the organization does and how students and people everywhere can get involved. 

Open to students on campus, there will be another tabling event Oct. 25 at 5 p.m. in the Seawolf Plaza for donations along with entertaining games and giveaways being featured. Ending the week onOct. 26, speaker Ailis Garcia, founder of the Strong Movement program, will give a women’s empowerment speech, followed by a workshop educating one women in Panhellenic ways of staying organized and stress-free in college. Ending the day, Garcia will also be teaching a one hour workout class. 

“Students should definitely be excited about the cause and the upcoming events. We as college students are so fortunate to be here learning and planning for a bright future and I cannot think of a better way to address our gratitude than to help others get here as well,” junior and Panhellenic team member Jenna Valle-Riestra said. 

This year Panhellenic has switched things up by bringing different events and speakers compared to last year. Founder of Circle of Sisterhood and Alpha Xi Delta Alumni Ginny Carroll, and was the speaker for last years event. With her busy schedule, it was unfortunate she could not make this year’s event. However, Panhellenic is hoping to she will speak again on campus in the next couple years. 

“Through these events, we hope that all Panhellenic women in Greek life, and all students will understand how fortunate enough we are to have education. We want them to understand how critical it is to give all women and men the same opportunity in underprivileged communities,” Senior and Panhellenic member Michelle Grgurich said. 

Since partnering with the organization in September 2010, Panhellenic has helped Circle of Sisterhood raise enough money nationally to impact 22 countries on four continents. The fundings have covered 10 schools being built, helped pay boarding school fees, offer scholarships, provide tutors, teachers and computers; while also installing electricity in a school in Peru. 

Donations help women earn a living, stand up for themselves and ultimately live a better life. According to the Circle of Sisterhood website, educated women earn 25 percent more income and when women earn an income, they reinvest 90 percent into their families, helping break the cycle of poverty. 

Sorority women have a huge impact in this organization, utilizing the strong bond of sisterhood and Greek unity to help other women achieve their goals. According to the website most sororities were founded in the 19 century in order to beat the obstacles of achieving a college education women were faced with. Today, sorority women fight for the same dream by reaching out to help other women stand together for the same cause of helping girls and women go to school around the world. 

“Before being on Panhellenic Executive Board, I didn’t really know too much about Circle of Sisterhood, but now that I am on the committee, I have a better understanding of what the money being raised goes towards,” Recruitment Coordinator Counselor Katelyn Foley. “At first it sounds like the organization just helps women get an education, we are also raising money for sorority women to go build schools for all children around the world.”