SSU becomes home to transfer students

Everyone knows that coming to school for any first-time freshman is difficult, but what we don’t really give a lot of thought to is the stress that transfer students also have to endure. They leave their homes and families as well, but they also leave the friends that they’ve established in community college, for example, or perhaps jobs that they’ve chosen to work right out of high school. 

The transfer student must also undertake the task of joining friend groups or cliques of people that have already been established perhaps even years ago. A few transfer students were interviewed this week to discuss the challenges that they have had to face this first semester Sonoma State University.

Megan Kelly is a third year transfer student with a double major in psychology and English. Kelly transferred here from Pierce Community College in her hometown Los Angeles. Kelly says that the hardest thing for her about coming to Sonoma State was “getting acclimated” and figuring out how she herself fit into things. “Everyone else is already established here.”

After living at home for an extra couple of years, Kelly now lives in transfer-student housing. Kelly acknowledges the different living environment with a positive attitude. When asked how the transition to living in the dorms is, Kelly says, “I thought it would be harder than it was, but I will say that my RA is really good at getting our whole building involved in group activities.”

Kelly did not plan on coming to Sonoma State originally. “I was really opposed to moving so far away from home, but I fell in love with the friendly vibe here and how its so immersed into nature. The people are really nice too.”

Kelly only has three days of class per week. She is looking for a part-time job currently, and plans to join a writing club. She also plans to go hiking and explore the Russian River.

On the other side of campus lives Riley McCauley, a fourth year transfer student with a Hutchins Liberal Studies major. McCauley transferred from Orange Coast College in her hometown, Orange County. 

For McCauley, meeting people was something challenging. “Before I was in Alpha Gamma Delta, I didn’t know a lot of people. Now that I’m in a sorority, whenever I’m walking around campus I always know someone,” says McCauley. When asked if she had always planned on joining Greek life, McCauley says, “It’s something I never thought I’d do because I’m an introvert. It’s good to get out of my comfort zone and meet different types of people.

Transitioning into the dorms for McCauley, like Kelly, seemed to be easier than expected. “It’s been a transition living with brand new people. I didn’t expect to be as comfortable as I am here,” says McCauley. “I’ve made close friendships with my suitemates.”

When it came to deciding where to go from community college, McCauley had many options. “From community college, I applied to six different CSUs. I looked at all my options and I realized that I wanted to be away from home and have new experiences, so I chose here because both my brothers go here already, as well as the amazing Hutchins program because I want to be an elementary school teacher.”

There are two community service providers here on campus. Aside from village activities hosted by the specially trained CSAs, there are also several programs for student involvement offered by the U-Engage Living and Learning community for transfer students who want to get involved.