Spotlight: Phi Delta Theta

exc-5bb423e38165f55177a974c2
exc-5bb423e38165f55177a974c2

The gentlemen of the fraternity Phi Delta Theta, or more commonly known as “Phi Delt,”  are very passionate about their philanthropy. They will be bringing back their 19th annual charity event, Teeter Totter, on Oct.15 through 19. It is a 104 hour long event. All of the chapter’s proceeds will be donated to The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and Greek life organizations have the opportunity to win money for their philanthropies as well.

The Teeter Totter began in 1999 at Sonoma State to raise money to help end Lou Gehrig’s disease, more commonly known as ALS. In 2006, Phi Delta Theta changed their philanthropy to honor a fellow member, Brent “Woody” Bolin. Bolin lost his battle with Cystic Fibrosis on August 2, 2006. Ever since then, Phi Delta Theta has continued to work and help raise awareness about Cystic Fibrosis and assist those that are diagnosed with the life-threatening dissease. 

Christian Gergus, Senior Economic and Business major and a member of Phi Delta Theta said, “Teeter Totter was one of the things that sold me on joining Phi Delt. It allows us to give back to the one thing that we can all connect on a personal level.” said Gergus. “Even though I didn’t personally know Woody, I still love that his friends, family, and wife come out to support our cause that we do in memory of him.” Their goal this year is to raise 15,000 dollars.

Phi Delt Theta last year celebrated their 20 years at Sonoma State University. Every year they are growing and Teeter Totter has been more successful than the last. 

Alec Pesavento, Senior Kinesiology major, is in charge of this year’s Teeter Totter. “The reason why I’m so passionate about this is to show the community and the campus what we are really capable of. It brings a sense of unity during the week,” Pesavento said. 

Some events in the past that the fraternity have done are wing eating competitions and movie nights. The chapter camps out on the lawn across from Pearson Theater the entire 104 hours. This year, they have partnered up with the Northern California Cystic Fibrosis Foundation chapter that helps families in the Santa Rosa and Rohnert Park area. They will be in attendance for this year’s event. 

In the past, the Teeter Totter was a 2×4 piece of wood that rested on a cinder block and had two couch chairs as cushions. As the Phi Delta Theta chapter has grown, they have made improvements. Now they have an 18 foot teeter totter that is ridden for the duration of the week. 

Some of the events they will be bringing this year are inflatable games like dunk tank and inflatable jousting, along with the Panhellenic and Intra Fraternal Council, or “IFC,” wing eating competition sponsored by Hooters and a cornhole tournament sponsored by Brewster’s Beer Garden. The full itinerary will be posted on lobovision and on their website. Phi Delta Theta is also selling long sleeve t-shirts this year for 15 dollars. 

You can donate to their venmo account, or personally stop by during Teeter Totter, or buy a t-shirt. Every donation helps. “Friendships and memories are made throughout the week, as well as all of us striving towards a common goal to leave Cystic Fibrosis better than we found it,” Pesavento said.