Royalty comes to Seawolf Plaza

exc-5bbd5b6b1905f4346f60d9e8
exc-5bbd5b6b1905f4346f60d9e8

The wall outside of the Recreation Center was beaming with royals last Friday evening. LoboVision not only provides students with the most up to date information about what’s going on at Sonoma Sstae University, but also has a full audio package that allows movies to be played. The larger than life screen has over 4,000 people walk past it every day, making information and news easily accessible to all on campus.

Sophomore Manu Lopez is a member of Student Involvement and assisted in putting on the evening event for students. These movie nights encourage and allow students to get out of their dorms and get further involved here on campus.

Lopez stated “We love having these movie nights because they’re super fun and who doesn’t like a free show and snacks?”

Students were gifted a double feature last Friday, the “Princess Diaries” and “The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement” along with free popcorn.

The famous line “Me? A Princess? Shut up!” rangout through Seawolf Plaza. The Princess Diaries film series tells the story of San Francisco teen Mia Thermopolis who is informed that she is next in line for the throne for the kingdom of Genovia. Alongside Hathaway is well-seasoned acting veteran Julie Andrews who plays Mia’s grandmother and queen of Genovia.

Their royal roles have kept the two mega stars close, even 14 years after the first movie premiered. On Oct. 1, Hathaway took to Instagram to post a heartfelt birthday message to Andrews. The post included a still from the ball scene where Mia is officially introduced as a princess in “The Princess Diaries”. 

“The importance of grace,” the post began. “The knowledge that power is nothing without respect; Why one must have patience, positivity, perspective, manners, kindness, and humility. Always, To everyone, (No exceptions)… If I know anything about any of this, It’s because I was lucky enough to have learned from the very best at the very beginning. Happy Birthday Julie, Queen Eternal. All my love, Annie”

The film was a worldwide success grossing over $165.3 and receiving a sequel, The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement. The sequel premiered in 2004 but received generally negative reviews from critics, although making over $134.7 million. The film follows Mia’s return to Genovia post-graduation, with hopes to take the reign from her grandmother, if, and only if, she finds a hand for marriage. The second film features America’s leading man Chris Pine as Hathaway’s love interest.

Friday evening’s movie night featured blow up couches, chairs and popcorn for free. First year students Madori Smith and Nikki Mansubi were both finishing up dinner in the cafeteria, saw the film playing, and decided to stop by.

Some students went out of their way, even traveling from off campus to make the double feature at LoboVision.

Katie Burroughs is a sophomore that has a warm spot for the film series, and knew she had to take the opportunity to see both of them again.

“I’ve seen The Princess Diaries a lot growing up throughout my childhood and the movie never fails to make me smile and reminisce on my childhood.” Burroughs explained.

The next LoboVison movie night will be on Oct. 19 following the Scene It movie version of “The Incredibles” from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Seawolf Plaza.