Mental Health Fair showcases mindfulness

Last Wednesday in the bustle of students scurrying to classes and grabbing their morning espresso, Seawolf Plaza was transformed into the Mental Health Awareness Fair. From 11:30 through 1:30 p.m., students were able to step away from the stress of college and take a moment to themselves, along with finding out about all of the resources campus has to offer.

Mental health is often overlooked by college students and those around them. NBC News reported in 2017 that 75 percent of all mental health conditions begin before the age 24, making college a critical time to take care of oneself. UCLA Higher Education Research also conducted a survey in which over 12 percent of college freshmen reported that they were frequently depressed. 

SSU’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) aims to create a safe mental health conversation on campus. CAPS on campus offers counseling, consultation, training, and outreach to all students and faculty.

CAPS intern Rosse Linares assisted in planning for the awareness fair on campus over the span of the last month. She strived to be an intern in this specific department due to her psychology major, along with noticing that mental health seems to go overlooked on college campuses. Her explanation of why mental health is often overlooked focused on the fact that mental health problems are not as easy to notice as the physical ones. Linares added the assistance given on campus helps students know they are not alone, which is crucialon a college campus. Linares shared that she too has been able to use CAPS as a resource in her college career:

“As someone with anxiety, I know how scary it can be to take that first step. CAPS is such an amazing resource, and know if you ever feel alone, the doors are always open,” Linares said.

At the fair, students could stop and relax by to color, make glitter jars, flower crowns, stress balls, finger paint, and even grab from a “take what you need” table. 

Along with CAPS, Student Government, Voter Registration, the Student Health Center, and Colleges Against Cancer tabled as well. 

Freshman Alex Rosselli was able to stop by the event and relax from her busy schedule to color. In her life of the college bustle, she understands that time must be set aside for mental health. She keeps her mental health prioritized by practicing mindfulness everyday. The fair was able to give her a relaxing break from the stress of midterms.

“I decided to stop by because midterms are soon and art is a good way for me to distress,” Rosseli explained.  

Marco Angrisani, a Junior, was tabling for Phi Delta Theta’s Teeter Totter event when he noticed the activities going on in Seawolf Plaza. He couldn’t help but to share how proud he was that SSU was creating a conversation about mental health.

Angrisani shared, “Mental health is a very important aspect to ones everyday life. It’s the foundation to a successful and healthy lifestyle, which in turn creates a happier life for that individual.”

CAPS is located in Stevenson 1088 and is open 8 a.m.-5 p.m. during the week, excluding Thursday when they are open 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. They also open emergency drop in hours for particular situations Mon.- Fri. 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. For more information, go to their website at sonoma.edu/counselingctr or give them a call at (707) 664 – 2153.