Harvest Stomp leaves a mark on students

exc-5bcfce0b53450a0889c47771
exc-5bcfce0b53450a0889c47771

The new addition to University Culinary Services (UCS) on the Sonoma State campus, Stomping Grounds, a wine and coffee bar, is making their mark with none other than a wine stain. 

Stomping Grounds first event of many, Harvest Stomp, took place on the patio of the Wine Spectator building in front of Stomping Grounds. The event allowed the first 100 people to stomp grapes and be able to customize their very own tee-shirt with their wine stained footprints in remembrance of the first annual grape stomp. 

Casey Kelly, the Marketing Specialist who works for Entrepreneurial Activities here at Sonoma State, along with her team, did all the marketing for the Harvest Stomp. 

“This event is important because it helps market Stomping Grounds as being a new venue on campus,” said Kelly. “Stomping Grounds pairs well with the School of Business and Wine Business Institute’s vision for research and education about the business of wine.”

A student who attended the Harvest Stomp was senior communications and media studies major Grace Remeta. Her love for Stomping Grounds has only grown through this event, and she cannot wait to attend events they put on in the future. 

“The whole atmosphere was incredible, I was so excited when I saw the barrels and the stained t-shirts hanging up,” said Remeta. “I loved being able to make a shirt with the grape stain, I think it’s so awesome that I can have a piece of the experience to remember. No other venue on campus has done anything like this before and that’s why I love Stomping Grounds so much.”

The addition of Stomping Grounds opens up more opportunities to students and staff for a unique experience. With UCS and Stomping Grounds in the works of creating monthly events, it will bring something new to campus and only enhance the experience here at the university. 

The next event to look forward to is Wingo—which is a wine bingo. Also, UCS is looking at doing a beer tasting in the future, plus more events to come.

While students and staff alike attended this event, Regan Chambers, a junior communications and media studies major, had been looking forward to this event ever since she first heard about it. With nothing like this ever having been done before on campus, it was something she was sure not to miss. 

“With this being the first event that Stomping grounds has hosted, I was so impressed with the turnout, and even throughout the event the line to stomp grapes was so long,” said Chambers. “It was lots of fun and this event is just what Sonoma State needs!” 

Chambers goes on to explain the feeling of crushing grapes for the first time. “Actually being able to stomp grapes was a weird but interesting feeling and definitely gets you in the wine spirit in wine country!” said Chambers.

For many students, it was their first time stomping grapes. But, for just about everyone it was their first time making something from their wine stained feet that they could have for the rest of their lives.