Lip Jam soon to return to SSU

exc-5c511cb91ae6cfdc1a4a5d72
exc-5c511cb91ae6cfdc1a4a5d72

Tickets for one of Sonoma State University’s most outrageous and anticipated events, Alpha Gamma Delta’s 27th annual Lip Jam, went on sale on Monday, Jan. 21. 

Amy Saduddin, Alpha Gamma Delta’s philanthropy chair, said “Lip Jam is our annual philanthropic event that raises money to help fight hunger. It is a lip sync and dance battle between Greek life and other organizations on campus.” 

A lip sync and dance battle is where a person or a group of people pretend to be singing a song while enacting a scene or dancing. They compete against one or more groups, often to hilarious effect. An example of this type of event is the popular television show Lip Sync Battle, hosted by L.L Cool J and Chrissy Teigen on Paramount network. 

During Lip Jam 2018, Alpha Delta Pi’s theme was American Horror Story: Asylum. However much fun it is, Lip Jam is not all for fun and giggles. According to Saduddin, all of the money raised by Lip Jam go towards the Alpha Gamma Delta foundation, who partners up with the charities Meals On Wheels and Feeding America. 

Last year the event raised $69,362.25 and all proceeds were donated. The event raises money with all the ticket sales and also penny wars. Penny wars is when all the organizations try and get the most money into their jar of pennies so they can be the first people to pick their theme they want for the event. 

Every year for the event judges see who has the best dances, lip synching and theme. You can win for certain topics such as best portrayal of theme, most entertaining, winner for large dance group category and winner for the small dance group category. 

Halie Arbini, a member of Alpha Omicron Pi, has been participating in the event for the last two years. “The turn outs every year is always great, seats are usually sold out within two or three days.” 

Makayla VanSlyke, also a member of Alpha Omicron Pi, reflected upon her past experience with the event. “Lip Jam is a great way to bond with all clubs and greek organizations on campus.” VanSlyke went on to say “Every year the theater is always packed with many students and families that come to watch this exciting event.” 

For more information on this event you can check out Alpha Gamma Delta’s Instagram page and see everything they have advertised for the event. Alpha Gamma Delta is also tabling everyday for the next three weeks outside of the Student Center in Seawolf Plaza.  

Tickets for regular admission are $25- $35 and with student ID they are $20-$30. The tickets can be purchased online or on the first floor at the Student Center. The event will take place at The Green Music Center on Friday Feb. 15 at 7  p.m.