Self-defense class returns to SSU

exc-5c7f1a35ee6eb0788d8c2771
exc-5c7f1a35ee6eb0788d8c2771

There are countless amounts of benefits when it comes to self-defense training. 

Being trained in self-defense gives you the resources and knowledge to be able to protect yourself and the people you love in situations where it’s necessary. 

Alpha Delta Pi put on their fourth annual self-defense workshop at 7:30 p.m. on March 4, 2019 in Ballroom A. The Self-Defense Presentation and Class is an annual event hosted every spring.

COURTESY // Alpha Delta Pi

COURTESY // Alpha Delta Pi

Although the workshop was specifically catered towards women, it was open to all who were interested.

The speaker, Ben Brown, is the head coach at Phas3 Martial Arts in Santa Rosa. He understands the importance of self-defence in this society and wants to educate others on this topic. 

In this workshop he will began with a powerpoint speaking about this topic and then moved onto a segment of the presentation where he encouraged people to join him and try out the tips and tricks he was teaching. 

“There have been a lot of issues happening on Sonoma State University’s campus and on college campuses in general where women should know self defense. That’s why I think it’s so important we bring Ben.” said Sonoma State student Christa Pehrson. “To give an opportunity for all women on campus to have a free session on how to defend themselves because it is such a relevant issue on college campuses.” 

Based on the Annual Security Report, in 2017 there were 19 cases of rape at Sonoma State University campus, two cases of statutory rape, and one case of aggravated assault. 

According to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN), “11.2% of all students experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation” despite only 20 percent of female student victims, aged 18 – 24, report cases of sexual assault to law enforcement. 

These cases are realities and it is important for all to be as knowledgeable as possible in order to protect themselves fully. 

One of the topics Brown discussed was sexual assault, which can be triggering and sensitive for certain individuals. However, sexual assault is  one of the reasons why knowing self-defense is necessary. 

Workshops like this are extremely useful and are a practical way for people to become educated on this topic given that it is free and open to university students as well as the public. 

“Sometimes when I’m walking to my car late at night, even if it’s on campus, I honestly get nervous. I think knowing self-defense would help me feel more confident in times when I’m alone.” said Juliana Wells, an SSU student. “I think it’s important for all people to feel that confidence and security, whether you’re male or female.”

Whether it be going to the gym and strength training with weights, going to different conferences where you learn more about the body and tricks that can help you guard yourself, there are many different ways you can stay informed and ensure you are doing all in your power to protect you and your future self.

“As a man, I honestly haven’t had to feel that threatened when I’m places alone at night that, for lack of better words, feel kind of sketchy. With this being said, I recognize that most women have felt this way at times.” said Ian Fitzgerald, a greek life student. “I think this workshop is a powerful tool to not only give women the confidence when in those situations, but also the actual knowledge to protect themselves and to not feel that uncertainty.”