‘Save a Seawolf’ PSA contest aims to save lives

exc-5c88560671c10b1a95fe7a25
exc-5c88560671c10b1a95fe7a25

Sonoma State University has made a mission to inform others on distracted driving-related crashes and the effects that it has on our generation. 

The Save a Seawolf PSA video contest aims to spread awareness about distracted driving and other behaviors that can compromise student safety. 

The different types of topics include texting and driving, driving under the influence, marijuana use and the consumption of edibles. 

COURTESY// Behind The BadgeA staged car crash outside a high school for an Every 15 Minutes event to educate students on the dangers of driving under the influence.

COURTESY// Behind The Badge

A staged car crash outside a high school for an Every 15 Minutes event to educate students on the dangers of driving under the influence.

The contest consisted of submitting a 20-second video discussing one of the related topics.  The video could be stating any factual information about these topics, or even creating an impactful message for other students.  This contest was sponsored by the Alcohol and Drug Advisory Committee (ADAC). 

Statistics from collegedrinkingprevention.gov show that 1,825 college students between ages 18 and 24 have died from unintentional alcohol-related injuries each year, which also includes car crashes. 

Mo Phillips, Director of Student Involvement, said that it is important to look out for other students, and intervene if that is what’s best. 

Phillips was reminded of a speaker a few years ago that had written parallel books with his son about the son’s drug addiction and how the father did not create it nor can he change it. 

“What we can do is we can educate about it, we can confront it, we can support students in making good choices in a variety of areas and we can keep bringing these messages to the students through events, Lobovision, etc…” Phillips said. 

She also added that student involvement brings awareness to other issues besides distracted driving, such as domestic violence, homelessness and sexual assault.

The deadline to submit videos for the contest ended on March 8, yet Phillips said she would love to hear new voices at tabling helping to educate others, since it always brings a new perspective to the table. 

Anupe Mahil, a third year Wine Business major, said that it is important to spread awareness and inform others on the possible dangers that come with their habits. She added that it is also smart to hear these concerns coming from other fellow students. 

“It is good for students to know other students care about them. They also need to know how prevalent these issues are,” said Mahil. She said that concepts like these should be apart of university education, since students may only be becoming more distracted. 

Makenna Scott, a fourth year Business major, said that the bringing up these distraction-related crashes could help others rethink some of the decisions they are making. 

“When you are able to see your peers discuss important topics, it makes you more comfortable to share your opinions and can help create a voice for people your age,” said Scott. 

She added that she remembered the Every 15 Minutes event that was put on in high school and how students were affected by it. 

Every 15 Minutes is a program specifically targeted toward high schoolers, sometimes staging fake car crashes on the school’s campus, to educate students on the real life consequences of drinking and driving.

Scott said that these contests are important since one bad decision could potentially alter your life.