AXID offers a colorful way to contribute

exc-5ca41bbae2c483349da57166
exc-5ca41bbae2c483349da57166

On April 7 the sisters of Alpha Xi Delta (AXID) will host their philanthropy event, Step It Up, a color run taking place from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. at the Sonoma State University track field. Members of the community will get the chance to participate in a color run, experience a myriad of different booths and help fundraise money for the Autism Speaks organization.

“It’s a color run and there’s going to be lots of booths there. There will be a lot of carnival games,” said AXID’s Philanthropy Vice President Natalie Gomez, “It’s a family and friend oriented event and a great way to spend your Sunday; going out and getting some exercise while also supporting a good cause.”

For those unfamiliar with a color run, essentially it’s a run with different stations where members of the sorority will throw chalk paint at the runners. 

COURTESY // Alpha Xi DeltaMembers of the sorority Alpha Xi Delta celebrate with colored chalk at a past Step It Up event.

COURTESY // Alpha Xi Delta

Members of the sorority Alpha Xi Delta celebrate with colored chalk at a past Step It Up event.

“Basically, you’ll be running around the track where we have three main colors: blue, pink and yellow,” said Gomez, “Under each color there’s a balloon arch of that color and that’s where the chalk paint will be thrown.”

You can also opt out of the “color” part of the color run and simply jog along the track. Booths with activities like cornhole, ring tosses and doughnuts on a string can also entertain those who show up.

Not only is Step It Up a hub of social activity, but it also serves a greater purpose. All proceeds go directly to an organization known as Autism Speaks. This group seeks to raise money for  autism and to assist families with members who have autism.

“I think this event is super important because not only do we fundraise for a great cause that I feel passionate about, as do all the girls in my chapter, but also because it gives people on and off campus the opportunity to go and contribute to that cause while going out and being active,” said Gomez.

This event has been on campus for quite some time now. According to Gomez, they’ve held Step It Up every spring semester since 2013. Many see the value that an event like this has.

“Step It Up is so important because it brings unity and fun back into topics that don’t seem to see the light as much,” said freshman AXID member Chloe Storrs, “You get friends and family coming together for one cause. It’s a fun way to just let loose, get some color on you and have a good time.”

Those in attendance and working there are happy to go out and have a good time while also contributing to a noble cause. 

“Attending and working Step It Up last year was a great philanthropy experience and an amazing way for me to spend time with my sorority sisters, as well as people in the community,” said AXID member Celine VanZwol, “It’s good to see everyone gathered together to support a good cause, Autism Speaks.”

Tickets are $10 before the event and $12 the day of and can be bought at the box office in the Student Center or online at the box office’s website.