Run for Ronald brings community together

exc-5cad4d7b7817f757cfa67475
exc-5cad4d7b7817f757cfa67475

On April 6, Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi) held their annual Run for Ronald 5k. This race assisted in raising funds for the Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC). 

Alpha Delta Pi’s partnership with RMHC began in 1979, and they have donated more than $14 million to the organization since With many families having to travel to get their ill child the proper treatment, RMHC gives families the opportunity to stay close to their hospitalized child for little to no cost. 

The 5k was held along various locations on the Sonoma State University campus. The race started at 10 a.m. and all participants were greeted along the race path by cheering members of the sorority. There were some participants who were running the race while others were taking it slow by walking and enjoying their company with the people alongside of them, including Carol Presho and Stuart Hotaling, the owners of campus fixture Bismarck the Newfoundland dog. 

FunrunADPimembers.jpg

STAR // Christine von Raesfeld(Top) Members of Alpha Delta Pi take photos before the run begins.(Bottom) Phi Sigma Sigma members socialize with Bismarc.

STAR // Christine von Raesfeld

(Top) Members of Alpha Delta Pi take photos before the run begins.

(Bottom) Phi Sigma Sigma members socialize with Bismarc.

Regardless of if the people partaking in the event were or competitive or not, all participants were there for the same reason.

“I had so much fun participating in Run for Ronald on Saturday. Every year has been such a fun and rewarding experience,” said Ellia Ohira, a Communications major.

When the participants finished the race, they were guided into a room with music, games, pizza and Yerba Mate. The event occurred over the course of a few hours.

“I love participating in ADPi’s run for Ronald every year, not only for the run, but for the cause. Raising money for RMHC and supporting the community is such an excellent way to give back,”  said Aaron Quinnell, a Biology and Philosophy major. “Coming back each year, with new competition, is always a good way to push myself to finish strong. And of course hanging out with all the ADPi’s who I’ve grown so close with is such a great way to spend my day.”

The Run for Ronald 5k not only takes place at Sonoma State’s Alpha Delta Pi Theta Gamma Chapter, but also at different ADPi chapters across the United States. 

For many seniors this is their last year to participated in the event. For some, this event has been such a rewarding experience, that they plan on continuing  to participate in the run after graduation.

“I have always looked forward to attending philanthropy events, and being able to participate in the annual Run for Ronald event my senior year with my family was very rewarding,” said Jessica Bennet, a Communications Studies major. “I know I will be volunteering for the RMHC even after graduation.”