Seawolf Part Time Job, Internship, and Service Fair

exc-5d65e6643295f2000169ef36
exc-5d65e6643295f2000169ef36

On Wednesday Aug. 28, Sonoma State University will be hosting a Seawolf Part Time Job, Internship and Service Fair at the Salazar Plaza. It will begin at 11:00 p.m. and will end at 2:00 p.m. This is the first year where the job fair has combined with the Center for Community Engagements which offers different internships and services to Sonoma State students. As of now, there are a total of 145 organizations registered and about 50 are government or nonprofits. 

The different types of jobs tabling at this fair range from retail work to office jobs. This event makes job hunting much easier for Sonoma State students, as well as encourages them to obtain some sort of occupation. This fair aims to help students get a part-time job throughout the school year, however ,some of these employers and community partners offer some opportunities that extend throughout the summer as well. 

One can expect all of the different organizations to have their own table filled with loads of information about their companies. Each table will have about two representatives which will be able to answer all the questions that students may have. 

“We wanted to make it easier for students and employers to connect by hosting a fair. Also, because this fair provides service opportunities for students there are other ways besides a job that students can learn the skills they need to be career-ready,” said one of the coordinators of this event, Becky Young. 

A new and exciting aspect that is being added to this fair is the app Handshake. 

“Handshake is a great opportunity for students to engage with employers, and peers across the county. Unlike other job boards, Handshake is geared for college students,” said Young. 

There are about 3,000 jobs and internships that are posted on Handshake, which gives students an abundance of options when it comes to joining the workforce along with many different internship opportunities. Handshake also gives students the chance to message the employers as well as speak to those who have previously worked at this job in order to get a better insight on what to expect. 

Rather than sending a resume via email, this fair allows students to meet with possible employers face to face. It may be a good idea for students to show up with their resumes at hand. 

“Recruiting students in person directly is the best way for agencies to answer questions and talk to students about their personal and academic goals,” said Caroline Banuelos, another coordinator for this event. 

This event is put in place to help students get out there and begin their career endeavors. It allows students to get a start on their resume as well as help form their work ethic. The Seawolf Part Time Job, Internship and Service Fair is filled with countless amounts of job opportunities which could be beneficial for all students.

The Seawolf Part Time Job, Internship and Service Fair is a great opportunity that students should most definitely take advantage of. 

“I am so excited to be able to put myself out there at this fair,” said Alondra Lopez, a Sonoma State student.