Sonoma State supports students with a resume workshop

exc-5d7851baee90c20432f59a8d
exc-5d7851baee90c20432f59a8d

A superb resume is a needed factor when it comes to obtaining any sort of occupation, so head on over to the Resume Workshop to see how you can make your resume stand out! The Resume Workshop will be taking place on Sept. 10th, at the Career Center, International Hall 107. It will begin at 12:00 p.m. and will last for about an hour.  

This workshop will break down the importance of a resume as well as teach students how to create and edit one. Beginning one’s resume can be rather overwhelming, therefore this event is aimed to make it less stressful for students. 

“We will break this process down for students to demystify the process of resume writing, and students will leave with tangible ideas and strategies for how to build a resume that is right for them,” said Kelsey Bensky a career advisor at Sonoma State University. 

images.jpeg

Students will learn that there is much more to put on a resume other than just past job experiences, which will be a useful factor when it comes to people with no prior work experience, which many young students struggle with.

A resume is essentially one’s ticket in to getting an interview and portraying the best first impression. It is important to make sure you put your best foot forward when starting a job and your resume is the best way to do that.

“Your potential on an 8.5 x11 piece of paper sounds challenging, but is critical and can really open doors,” said Bensky.

The coordinators of this event want to show students how to make a grasping yet easy to read resume. Resumes should be abundant in with a plethora of information that can be easily seen by an employer. It is also key to remember that what is put under the “experience” category of one’s resume is not limited to past job experiences. It can also include things such as: volunteer work, leadership roles, along with other important tidbits.

No matter the experience or resume knowledge one may have, this workshop is beneficial for all. They not only help build work experience on paper, individuals will also learn a great amount about themselves. The conversations presented at this workshop will help those who attend get an idea about how to create a persona of your own. 

“Personally in my life going through the process of creating a resume always left me with a lot of stress, so I am excited to improve my resume through this workshop,”  said Sonoma State student Catherine Crain.