Oksoberfest brings awareness about alcoholism

Spooky season is upon us, and the Seawolf community is prepared for it, in fun and engaging ways. On Oct. 30 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. the Residential Education and Campus Housing is excited to present Oksoberfest, an event free for the Sonoma State community in the Sauvigon Village and Cooperage. 

All students are invited to attend this free event. Seawolves will get a chance to learn alcohol safety tips, see a live drag show performance and play interactive games for prizes like Wolfbucks, Candy, and Sonoma State gear. Snacks will be free and students have a chance to show up in their costume. 

“Our Oksoberfest is for students to reflect on their relationship with alcohol. I say relationship because it captures the idea that you can be connected to alcohol. I hope Oksoberfest lets students see that they can have fun and alcohol does not have to be at the center,” said Coordinator of Residential Education Tramaine Austin-Dillon.

This is event is one of the many events that will be happening on campus during Sonoma State’s Alcohol Awareness week.  

“Alcohol Awareness week is Oct. 28 to Nov. 1. This year will be a variety of passive and active programs and campaigns designed to educate students about alcohol use, abuse and misuse. Our message is not (do not drink), because we know better than that. Our message is, if you choose to drink, be smart, look out for friends, speak up if a friend is doing something you know they would not normally do, be a designated driver, be a sober friend, make a plan before you go out, Save a Seawolf and Be Safe.” said Austin-Dillon. 

During Oktoberfest there will be alcohol awareness tips that will allow students to become aware of the dangers of alcohol in a fun interactive way in the residential hall alongside their peers. 

“We will provide information around binge drinking culture, ‘buzzed driving’, driving under the influence ‘DUI’s’ and how to keep yourself and peers safe when drinking. If you do choose to drink, we want to give some tips about how you can do that responsibly. For example, not drinking unless you are 21, and if you are 21 knowing your limit,” said Austin-Dillon. 

It is important that Seawolves come together as a community and have a chance to learn more about the dangers of underage and excessive drinking. According to the National Survey Results on Drug Use Amongst College Students 1 out of 20 college students have consumed 10 or more drinks in a row at least once. 

“Alcohol use is seemingly embedded within much of college culture but not necessarily in a healthy way. Oksoberfest is an opportunity to see alcohol discussed in a real and honest way.  Students will hear from one of their peers about their personal battle with alcohol and what they have learned,”  said Austin-Dillon. “ It should be a meaningful experience for students that they can use in their time at Sonoma State and beyond.”

Oksoberfest is open to everyone and it would be beneficial for everyone to attend. 

“As a senior I think it is important that younger students on campus become more aware of the dangers of excessive underage drinking. I am excited to attend Oksoberfest because it allows the community to come together and educate ourselves on issues that matter and work to become a stronger community” said senior Leslie Padilla. 

Seawolves can bring their costumes and have the chance to come out and enjoy an alcohol-free night filled with games, free food, and prizes. It is sure to be an educational event.

“If you choose to drink, be smart, look out for friends, speak up if a friend is doing something you know they would not normally do, be a designated driver, be a sober friend, make a plan before you go out, save a Seawolf and be Safe.” said Austin-Dillon.