Come kick it with Kappa

Seawolves enjoy getting competitive and have fun raising funds for a good cause. Kickin’ It With Kappa is an event that is put on by Kappa Delta Zeta, a local greek organization on campus. On Nov. 9 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Kappa Delta Zeta will be hosting their annual kick-ball tournament in the Beaujolais Track Field. There will be concessions being sold and there will be silent auctions happening. 

Kickin’ It With Kappa is a kick-ball tournament that anyone that is able to create a team of 8 players can participate in. Many Greek organizations, clubs, and the Seawolf community in general comes together to play and participate in the tournament and the last two teams standing will play against each other and become champions. Kappa works to raise funds for a local organization in Sonoma County.

Kappa Delta Zeta donates their money to a local non-profit organization which makes Kickin’ It With Kappa unique. Since Kappa is a local sorority, they take pride in helping local organizations in the community. 

This year’s organization that they are donating to is Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Sonoma County. Their program is committed to serving abused and neglected children coming before the Juvenile Court for protection and rehabilitation services. They want to help humanize the complex child welfare system for the child victim by providing a trained volunteer who will act as a consistent role model and advocate for the child. 

“It is important to raise funds for local organizations because we are a local sorority and we get to serve more than one main philanthropy or organizations, but every year it changes. It helps us a community become aware of different local non-profit organizations in the county that we can help and donate as much as we can,” said Philanthropy Chair, Allison Zanatta. 

Kappa takes pride in giving back to local nonprofits that are close to home for the Sonoma State community.

“It’s not only a service to Kappa, but its service for those who are in need. You have the opportunity to donate even if you don’t have a team,” said Zanatta. 

Kickin’ It With Kappa happens every fall and it’s not only an event where only the players can attend. The community can come watch and cheer on the players, participate in the silent auction, and buy some food and help Kappa raise funds for a good cause. 

“Uniting together through competition is a great way for the Seawolf community to bind while supporting a good cause. I am a very athletic person and being able to get on that level with my fellow seawolf community is not something I am not able to do often and it is always a good time” Kappa Member, Camila Sanchez.

In the past Kickin’ It would take place in a park in Rohnert Park but the sorority decided to bring the event to campus to get more inclusion and allow the Sonoma State students to more easily come out and support their peers on campus. 

To come in and watch the games is  totally free of cost and you have the chance to bring foldable chairs and enjoy the tournaments. 

“We want this year to be a year where a diverse group of Sonoma State students come and support CASA. They will have a representative tabling during the event where everyone will have the opportunity to get to know more about this amazing organization. As a united community, we can work on making a change and supporting local organizations that support our neighbors.That is why Kappa’s motto is `Be The Change You Wish To See’, we can work together and make a change, ” said Zanatta. 

If anyone wants to have a chance to participate in the kick-ball tournament, Kappa will be tabling in the Seawolf plaza with sign-ups. If you have any questions about the event or would like more information about CASA you can email Kappa Delta Zeta’s philanthropy chair at [email protected]. Together as a community we can make a change.