Student Spotlight: Gaby Davila

As a first generation college student Gaby Davila always knew she wanted to achieve her full potential, not only in school but in her social life throughout her college career. 

Davila always wanted to make an impact at whatever university she was to attend. Since her sophomore year of high school she dreamed of Sonoma State becoming her home and she worked hard to be able to get accepted and attend. Now she is a fourth year student going through her second term being president for Mujeres Activas en Letras y Cambios Social (MALCS). 

“During my time here at SSU’s campus, I have tried my best to influence those around me into becoming the best version of themselves. This can range from being a better student, activist, and/ or feminist,” said Davila. 

According to the MALCS website, it is an organization of students working in academia and in community settings with a common goal: to work toward the support, education and dissemination of a collection of student’s issues.

Last March, Davila  was the co-chair and the co-organizer of the North Bay Womxn of Color Conference (NBWOCC) . This conference consists  of a series of workshops and a keynote speaker that provide a safe space for women of color. She continues to work towards hosting events for students of color since these events are essential to students’ experiences through academia. 

“Gaby has always been an inspirational person. She always works hard not only to better herself, but also everyone around her. I was able to attend the NBWOCC because she was a co-chair and it has been one of the most memorable experiences in my college career, it was an inspiring moment for me and I knew I wanted to be more involved,” said Sonoma State student Caroline Castaneda . 

As a Seawolf, Davila volunteered on campus through Joins Us Making Progress (JUMP) and was involved with her residential community. After attending two NBWOCC’s ,  she was inspired to have the opportunity to provide the same empowering experience for her peers. 

“During my time here at Sonoma State, I’ve experienced the effects of Imposter Syndrome and I want to let students who have similar backgrounds as mine know that they deserve to be here and that they will succeed no matter what. These institutions weren’t made for students like me but we are here to stay,” said Davila. 

Gaby is working to get accepted into a nursing Masters program after she is done with her degree here at Sonoma State to fulfill her dream of becoming a nurse practitioner. She is part of the McNair Scholars Program and is currently working on her research about how Latina college students are learning about sex and sexual health.

She hopes to continue her research throughout her future nursing career. 

“My goal in life is to help all marginalized communities as a Family Nurse Practitioner, specifically through women’s health. In my future career, I plan to implement intersectionality into the work I will be doing in the medical field. This feminist practice will not only help me see a patient’s medical condition but all the different power systems affecting a patient,” said Davila. 

As her schedule continues to get busier by the semester she makes sure she is always available for her MALCS club meetings that occur every Thursday in the Honoring. Uniting. Building. (HUB) on the second floor of the student center. 

“ I can’t wait to see what Gaby does for the next NBWOCC that is happening next March. She is always so driven and dedicated with everything she does and everything she sets her mind to. It will be an unforgettable and a great event for all women of color and for the Sonoma State community to attend,” said Castaneda.

Gaby will continue to work towards helping the Sonoma State community through her work as president for MALCS. She is focused on working on her research and has already started planning the NBWOCC. The conference will be happening in March of 2020, for all women of color and create a space where everyone can come together and feel part of the Seawolf community.