The Wine Spectator Building hosts third Thursdays

exc-5e2612796570d5475409e4e3
exc-5e2612796570d5475409e4e3

Wine and dine is a common pastime in Sonoma County. What better way for Sonoma State University students to indulge in the culture of the community around them than in the on campus Wine Spectator Building on the third Thursday of the month? The Wine Spectator Building’s cafe, Stomping Grounds, invites students to celebrate the wine culture around the university by kicking off the new wine feature of the month as well as new foods and games. 

This month’s Third Thursday at 3 p.m. in Stomping Grounds will take place on Nov. 21 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. with games from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m..

“We started last October of 2018 to generate some awareness and excitement about our new dining option on campus and try to create an opportunity once a month for people to gather at the end of the day and close to the end of a week,” said Culinary Director, Nancy Keller. “Now the event is more about creating community and a gathering opportunity for faculty, staff and students.”

The event is a great opportunity for students to come together and learn more about the wine center as well as enjoy new foods. For those over 21, the new wines help make this experience even better. In the past, menu additions such as charcuterie plates and pretzel bites have been offered on the event’s menu. This coming event’s food has yet to be announced. 

“I really enjoy the Wine Spectator Building and Stomping Grounds, especially since we are living in an area where wine is a very prevalent part of our world. The building is giving us students who are wanting to narrow in on wine an opportunity to grow in that field. I am excited to see what is in store for the wine list this month,” said senior Max Solis. 

The event usually consists of 15-60 attendees and starts out as just time to work on projects or unwind before the weekend. During the last hour, Stomping Grounds offers activities. In the past, these activities have been Grape Stomping on T-Shirts, a wine themed Bingo “Wingo”, and “Wine Wars,” a game similar to Trivial Pursuit. This year the Wine Game has been added to the list of games; a vineyard Monopoly where people have to grow the grapes, bottle them, and sell to a market. The game fits with the culture of the wine business building. 

“Those that have come have enjoyed themselves and ask what is happening next month. The mild sunny weather tends to bring a larger crowd and as we go into winter we move from the patio into the inside.  I hope in the spring semester to do a guided wine tasting game,” said Keller.

The event started as just recognition for the newest addition to Sonoma State’s campus but has just recently coined the name Third Thursday at 3 p.m. this year with some food specials.  

“I think it is wonderful that Sonoma State allows us to narrow in and educate ourselves on the culinary craft of wine. It is something that may seem taboo in some places but wine is an ancient craft,” said Solis. “People in ancient Greece drank wine and have been working on narrowing the craft for centuries. It feels great to be able to go to a school that respects this artform and gives students the opportunity to learn all about wine.”  

The addition of Stomping Grounds’ Third Thursday at 3p.m. event is a great chance for students to come together and unwind after a long week. The event is ever changing, with so many new activities, food, and wines added every month. With the new changes, it is an excellent opportunity for students to learn about the culture of the area they live in while spending time with friends.