Art Exhibit on campus

The Sonoma State art exhibition will be having their opening reception– Picturing Philanthropy: Selections from the SSU Art Collection on Dec. 5. The Art Gallery will be having a reception featuring art that has been donated to the SSU Art Collection over the past 40 years. Admission will be free and they will be providing food and beverages. 

Not only will they be showing the artwork that had been received over the past 40 years, but also recent pieces of art that they have acquired.  Originally, the reception was going to take place Oct. 10, however, because of the PG&E power outage, it was move. This is now a closing reception for the semester.

“For the exhibition itself, I had the idea for the show in 2018 as part of the Art Gallery’s year-long celebration of its 40th anniversary (it opened in 1978),” said Art Gallery Director Michael Schwager. “I felt it was time to feature a selection from the SSU Art Collection, which hadn’t been exhibited in the Art  Gallery for more than 30 years, especially since the collection has grown so much over the years, now at approximately 1400 works.”

Some of the artwork that will be featured are from the Sonoma State Arts faculty, both current and retired.

“I hope students appreciate the breadth and range of the artworks in the SSU Art Collection and enjoy viewing work by important 20th century artists like Pablo Picasso and Andy Warhol as well as by artists from Mexico and Northern California, among other places.  There is much to see and think about it in the exhibition, so I’m hopeful it will generate lots of ideas and conversations as well as the pure pleasure of looking at art,” said Schwager. 

Those working at the gallery hope to have as many students and staff attend the Art Gallery’s reception in order to help celebrate the artwork that has been donated and continue to support a vast art collection. 

“ The artwork on campus is incredible. I have been to an art exhibit on campus and it was such an amazing and sophisticated event. I do not think a lot of people on campus are really aware of the beautiful artwork we have and I know this event will shed some light on it,” said Sonoma State senior Leslie Padilla. 

Anyone can visit the exhibition and the reception from now until Dec. 8. The art gallery is open Tues.- Fri. from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and open on weekends from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Seawolves can come in and check out the art at no cost. 

“The exhibition includes a 17th century Chinese scroll and an 18th century print by William Hogarth as well as a 1997 limited-edition art book by an African American artist, Kara Walker.  The show also includes some excellent prints from the Imagery Estate Winery Collection that were donated to SSU by Benziger Family Winery,” said Schwager. 

There is artwork displayed all throughout the Sonoma State campus. There is artwork in President Sakaki’s office in Stevenson, in the Green Music Center, in the Wine Spectator Learning Center, and a handful of other locations. The Art Gallery hopes to install more artwork from the collection in Salazar Hall. 

“I hope many students, staff, and faculty come to the University Art Gallery on Dec. 5 to see some remarkable works of art and help us celebrate the generosity of those individuals who have helped SSU build such a great art collection,” said Schwager. 

Visit the art gallery at anytime before the Dec.8 to appreciate the beautiful artwork that has been donated for the past 40 years.