Alcohol Awareness Week raises awareness

exc-5e2619992509ff68a5bedf88
exc-5e2619992509ff68a5bedf88

About one in three people will be involved in a drunk driving crash during their lifetime according to a DUI statistics in the Biodiversity data journal. This is an eye opening and terrifying number but Sonoma State is doing its part to try and lower it. Starting on Dec. 3 and going through Dec. 5 Sonoma State University will be hosting an alcohol awareness week in order to get the community talking about the danger that surrounds alcohol. 

To start off the week there will be a red flag display in the Darwin Quad. This display is supposed to represent the direct effects that alcohol use and abuse has on college students. The red flag is flying high in hopes of getting the student body talking about the several college aged students that die each year from alcohol related incidents. 

It is known amongst many that alcohol is the cause of many deaths each year, however it is not a topic that is talked about too often. This topic should be brought up frequently, especially on a college campus. College culture in America is notorious for the partying aspect as well as the actual schooling. Because of this it is vital to educate college students on the harm that alcohol can cause in one’s life.

Another display that will be presented throughout the week is a car crash exhibit in the Salazar Plaza. This display shows a real life car that was in an actual alcohol related accident. The car is completely damaged and is used to show the Seawolf community just how serious and dangerous drunk driving is. 

Surrounding this exhibit will be messages and stories about people who have been affected by drunk driving in their lifetime. Along with that, there will be photos of college students from all over the country who have died from drunk driving incidents. By adding real life stories and photos it will show the student body just how consequential drunk driving is. It only takes one time to alter someone’s life forever. 

According to the United States Department of Transportation almost 30 people die every day due to drunk driving crashes. That is a statistic that is not brought up often but one that needs to be known by many. 

“Drunk driving is not something that crossed my mind too often until I was directly affected by it and now it is a topic that is always on my mind. I am so happy to see that Sonoma State is doing something to raise awareness because drunk driving can change forever alter someone’s life and it is not worth it,” said Sydney Adams, a Sonoma State student. 

Along with stories and photos there will also be people tabling at the car crash display. These people will have an abundance of information and statistics regarding alcohol and the harm it may cause, as well as how to consume alcohol responsibly. 

There will also be another table where students and community members can commit to not drinking and driving. 

“By having these displays up all week it will most definitely get the students of Sonoma State talking about this issue. Most importantly, by presenting real life stories from people that have been impacted by drunk driving it will pull at the heartstrings of students and hopefully stop them from getting behind the wheel while intoxicated,” said Hannah Opiel, a Sonoma State student. 

Alcohol Awareness week at Sonoma State will educate the community in a beneficial way and will hopefully prevent college students from drunk driving and encourage them to drink responsibly. It’s important to stay safe out there and the best way to do that is by being informed.