Students can prepare for the Career Fest with the Career Fest: Prepare for the Fair Pop Up

exc-5e5f07cd9979957341a543f9
exc-5e5f07cd9979957341a543f9

Be sure to check out the two day Career Fest: Prepare for the Fair – Pop Up happening in Salazar Plaza on Tue. March 3 and Wed. March 4. The Career Fest pop up is a way to get a great amount of feedback in order to get ready for the Career Fest. 

Some helpful resources that will be available at the Pop Up include: a career advisor drop-in appointment, resume reviews by a professional advisor, access to the career clothing closet for appropriate professional attire, getting the chance to connect with employers that will be attending the Career Fest, and, of course, fun games. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 11.48.21 AM.png

An easy way to get more information about the Career Fest, student jobs, and internships is by searching through the Handshake website. 

According to Handshake’s website, “…Handshake is the #1 way college students find jobs.”

Sonoma State University has recently started using Handshake as the newest job search board where students are able to apply to various jobs that interest them, whether they are on or off-campus.    

“…Handshake is the largest early talent recruiting platform connecting employers, talent, and colleges in one place,” said Handshake’s website. 

Emily Vogel, university recruiting and employment brand manager of Box, heavily depends on Handshake to bring her a diverse group of applicants. 

“We received over 6,000 applications for only 15 summer internship spots. While, in theory, our pipeline was robust, it was not diverse. For our business and culture to thrive, we needed Handshake to proactively create a pipeline representative of America’s diversity,” said Vogel.

According to the Career Center, Sonoma State has recently started using Handshake so students have the opportunity to “Apply to hundreds of full-time & part-time jobs, volunteer positions, and internship opportunities, create a user profile that contains ones resume and cover letter for an easy application process, connect with employers from all over the country, register for career fairs and other events,” and most importantly, “It’s free for all SSU students and alumni!” 

“I am so excited for this year’s Career Fest because it allows so many students to network, meet new employers, and even form connections with people you aren’t trying to connect with. It can bring many opportunities for people looking to be more social and find other students that are interested in the same topics as them,” said Sophia Lazzerini, a third-year student at Sonoma State University. Lazzerini is a Communications Major looking to find connections at this year’s Career Fest. After signing up, she started browsing through the many different types of internships and part-time jobs that were available to her. 

“Using Handshake is also a great way to get informed about what employers are looking for before you arrive at the Career Fest, it allows you to search and find out what their company is all about,” said Lazzerini

Use Handshake to find out more about which employers will be attending, as well as registering for the Career Fest. 

There will be a third workshop held to prepare for the Career Fest on Tue. March 10 from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. in the career center for students who need extra preparation. At this workshop, they will be reviewing resumes. 

The Career Fest will be held on Wed. March, 11 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Student Center Ballrooms. The career fest welcomes all students, from first year freshman that want to explore future opportunities to seniors looking to start their careers. 

Be sure to bring copies of a resume to hand out to employers and take a look at the Handshake website to register for the event, check out which employers will be attending, and browse for full-time positions and internships being offered. All majors are welcome to attend.