How COVID-19 affects Seawolves

exc-5e83b70c970e8e58270ba3c3
exc-5e83b70c970e8e58270ba3c3

As COVID-19 spreads at a high rate throughout the United States, how college students are being affected is extremely overlooked. Within the last two weeks, Sonoma State has gone from canceling three days of face-to-face classes, to canceling a whole month, and now canceling all in-person classes until next semester as well as postponing graduation. 

FINDME.jpeg

Though shutting down most of the university will help contain COVID-19 and limit transferring of the virus among students and faculty, students still face many obstacles such as: commuting to their hometowns, having access to the internet, focusing on online courses while at home, as well as a plethora of other issues. 

Lindsey Abbott, a third-year Theatre major at Sonoma State said, “Like any major, the last two years of my education are based around classes with specific topics; two acting classes I am required to take this semester are Acting on Camera and Commedia dell’arte. Both rely heavily on in class participation and in class presentations.”

Abbott continued to talk about how the absence of physical class meetings will negatively affect many students’ education. “Of course, my professors are doing their best to accommodate these confusing, troubling times, and are honestly doing so incredibly well; but with a major that relies so much on first-hand experience, it’s hard to acclimate to a completely different approach,” Abbott said.

Abbott continued, “If it weren’t for technology, these classes would not work at all. Plus, I will not have an opportunity to take these courses again; the Theatre department runs a program that includes courses offered only every other year. These two courses, along with the rest of my remaining courses for my fourth year, are under this category. I feel my education is in danger, but there’s nothing I can do about it.”

Finally Abbott mentions how the virus has impacted her personal life. 

“Both jobs I have were on campus, both relying on me being there to actually proceed with my work: an usher at the Green Music Center, and working in the costume shop on campus. Although I’m fortunate to have employers that figured out a way to have my job potentially completed online, I know many other students–both on campus and off–that are wondering how they’re going to live in the months to come.”

Many students are being affected because Zoom does not qualify as the perfect learning tool for all students. This is why most students take classes in person–it is hard for many to learn online.

Another student, Vanessa Alcala said, “My family is doing well. I live with roommates in Petaluma but I came home to quarantine at my parents house because it made more sense since my roommates had already left for spring break.”

Alcala also works in a retail store and due to the Coronavirus it was closed, but unlike many student jobs, she is still being paid. Vanessa continued to say, “I 100% understand why we have to do online classes…but it’s hard when you know you don’t do as well. I’ve taken online classes before, and it was a lot harder for me than regular classes,” said Alcala.

Karina Sumano, alumna of Sonoma State University had much to say about the current situation.

“I’m currently a grad student living in Boston during COVID-19,” said Sumano. “Now, all my classes will be conducted through Zoom for the rest of the semester and that’s going to be a really big change since my classes are discussion-based.”

She continued to express how heartbroken she was when they announced that classes will be online for the rest of the semester. “I really love what I’m studying and I enjoy in-class discussions. I personally don’t do well with having academic conversations through video chat but I’m trying my best. I did not think I would have to end my first year in grad school like this.”

In addition to being a first-year grad student, she is also a TA for an undergraduate class. “I miss seeing my cohorts in person and I didn’t realize that our last class together would be our last one in person together.”

Finally she discussed how the Coronavirus will upset her travel. “I also miss having the opportunity to go to museums since they have shut down, so when it is safe to go out again I’ll be sure to go to every museum!” said Sumano.

During this time, students must remember that we cannot simply go about our regular routines right now–people are out of work, lives are at stake, and businesses are struggling. Staying home and self-isolating during the shelter-in-place will be beneficial long-term, and it can eventually help things return to normal. Stay strong and hopeful during these difficult times, and lean on each other from afar. We will get through this Seawolves.