SSU faculty gives back to the community with face masks

exc-5e9e4e96e7e6c265a7369914
exc-5e9e4e96e7e6c265a7369914

Sonoma State University staff is working together to give back to the Sonoma State community during this difficult time. A group of Sonoma State staff will be volunteering their time to make masks for  essential students and faculty that are still on campus.

Masks.png

Production Manager Vikki Del Rosario, is organizing the group of 10 makers. This project is a collaboration between the Sonoma State Library and the School of Art and Humanities. The amount of staff members involved is continuing to grow daily. 

“We hope to share these masks with essential staff and students on campus very soon and make a big difference in our campus community as we support the larger effort to stay safe!” said Rosario. 

The supply for masks will continue to be in high demand during the crisis, making the group of sewers very essential. “I am grateful to have found a way to make a difference within the SSU community during a confusing and uncertain time. Gavin Newsom recently shared the African proverb, ‘If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together’.” said Rosario.

The group members are still very early in mask production but a few members that are involved include Vikki Del Rosario, Costume Director Martha Clarke, Dean of Libraries Karen Schneider, Costume Shop Tecnician Teresa Kopaz, Beaujolais Village Area Coordinator Cookie Garrett, Art Preparator and Collections Assistant Claudia Molloy, and Dean of the School of Arts and Humanities Hollis Robbins,. 

Clarke, longtime Costume Director is giving the group of volunteers equipment, supplies, and tutorials. Clarke has been sewing since she was a young child and she has always taken this art for granted but at this moment skillful sewers are needed due to the fact that masks are extremely hard to come by during the COVID-19 crisis.

“I am very happy to be able to contribute to the health and safety of our campus community and beyond with my skills that I have always known were essential,” said Clarke.

Dean of Libraries, Karen Scheider has helped make their plans possible with the help of a grant from Chevron. 

“This ingenious people-centered partnership between the library and the School of Arts and Humanity showcases our ability at Sonoma State to innovate, collaborate, and take care of one another,” said Schneider.  

Beaujolais village area coordinator, Cookie Garrett is very thankful to be involved in this group.  

“As a part of the REACH team I get to see first hand how some of our residential students work tirelessly to perform academically and provide for themselves.” Garrett continues, “Anything that we can do to help support their success and safety, especially in such unprecedented times as these, is worth every bit of the effort.” 

Garrett believes giving back to the community will help slow the spread of the virus. “The safer they are the safer our community will be. Long story short #NomaCares.”    

Claudia Molloy, art preparator and collections assistant said, “As an artist and member of the Art and Art History Department this project fulfills both my creativity and sense of community. I am a proud member of the SSU community and am thrilled to give back in this small way.” 

Hollis Robbins, dean of the school of arts and humanities admits she is extremely excited to be a part of this community project. Robbins says, “I am thrilled that we are working to support innovative face technology to protect the health of our community as we maintain social distance for the next several months. 

Robbins continues by saying, “We will be making masks as well as new designs that support Sonoma County and CDC guidelines for appropriate facial covering. It’s very exciting”

Once the group produces a mass supply of suitable masks, they will reach out to essential students and staff online to share where and when they will be available on campus.