ASP starts the school year off with “Sonoma Feud”

exc-5f4445a475cef709526dce3d
exc-5f4445a475cef709526dce3d

The energy was high in the final round of the Sonoma State University “game show”. Team W and Team ? were neck and neck. The suspense of waiting for the last question had everyone hovering over their buzzer. Finally the question was shown and the first to buzz in was Team ? ultimately leading them to take the win at Associated Student Production’s (ASP’s) Sonoma Feud. The event was held Aug. 20 and had two teams facing off in a virtual game show, live from Zoom.

STAR// Sam BillingslyIt didn’t take long for contestants to realize that Lobo’s was the most popular food choice on campus.

STAR// Sam Billingsly

It didn’t take long for contestants to realize that Lobo’s was the most popular food choice on campus.

This last Thursday students gathered over Zoom to participate in a game modeled after the show Family Feud. The TV show has two teams of five members going against one another trying to guess the popular answers that people choose to questions that appear on the game board. The game had questions that related around campus and Sonoma State student life such as “which academic hall is the prettiest?” Or “ what’s the best dish served at The Kitchens?” (It was mini corn dogs.)

Sonoma Feud has set the stage for all future virtual events for the upcoming Fall semester. With classes online at Sonoma State, all events have either been postponed, cancelled or have gone virtual. The transition to online meant Sonoma State wouldn’t be able to host the well-known kick off event to the school year known as “Big Nite”. In lieu of the popular event, ASP were quick to create this game show esque meeting for students. 

Mac Patefield, Seawolf Pride Director said they ended up choosing this idea because they “…needed an event for Welcome Week, something that was SSU related and would get returning and new students excited about Sonoma state.” 

She followed by saying “other schools had done this type of event and we made our own version from there.” after being asked how ASP came up with their first event for the semester. 

One of the questions asked was “Where is the best place to eat on campus” and students stated different locations such as Lobos, Sip and Charlie Browns; all appearing on the board yet the Kitchens were not a fan favorite earning the team that guessed them a strike.

This new way of life has created some challenges for students to interact with one another and ASP has spoken with how they will continue to bring some kind of normalcy to students.

Erik Dickson, the Executive Director of ASP said, “I am so proud of the transition and hard work that ASP has done getting ready for this virtual semester.  They have really stepped up and been creative, resilient, and true student leaders.” 

The total of participants came out to be 15 people at last Thursday’s event. The question of turnout for any event crosses the planners mind and Dickson said, “Our job is to learn from both and grow in our capacity to serve the students through ASP.” 

Some of the events Seawolves know and love will also be shared through the virtual platform such as open mic nights and various game nights as well as some new events. Mariah Atkins, Programming Director hinted at “some potential special guests” in the future. These various events can be found on the ASP instagram, @ssu_as , as well as Seawolf Living. 

With hopes high and quick solutions ASP has worked with what was handed to them, creating ways for students to interact while also trying to establish, “…the fun and leisurely events that ASP will be putting on this semester,” said Patefield. 

ASP Programming Director, Mariah Atkins hopes “…that SSU students feel that they have a space, an outlet, and a resource to utilize as a way to engage, relax, and build community.” 

These events that ASP continue to hold are meant to create a sense of community with all students and faculty no matter the distance. In our new reality, virtual events are becoming more normal with this transition to a new way of having social interaction.