An intersectional feminist magazine hits Sonoma State

exc-5f4d577566b6ca08d93c8eeb
exc-5f4d577566b6ca08d93c8eeb

Soon to hit the scene at Sonoma State University is a new online magazine, REVIVAL. What started out as a UC Davis student-run magazine has expanded and branched to its very own chapter here at Sonoma State. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 1.05.01 PM.png

REVIVAL focuses on spreading a message of intersectionality in feminism and strives to inform and educate readers on societal issues along with how to bring them to justice. Part of the magazine’s mission is to create a safe space for women, people of color, and more among the Sonoma State community. 

“As an intersectional feminist organization, REVIVAL encourages women, as well as all underrepresented students, to broaden their perspectives, share their thoughts, and use their voices,” said REVIVAL Founder and President Katherine Breeher. “Not only do we empower feminists to share inclusive opinions regarding current events or social, political, and cultural issues, but we also strive to give everyone the opportunity and community to express themselves while discussing their unique experiences.”

The perceived lack of a voice that underrepresented groups are given in society has started to become more apparent to some. But while many are just starting to take notice, the leaders of REVIVAL have already decided it is well past the time to start making a difference. The team at REVIVAL SSU were inspired by the efforts of UC Davis’s mission and felt there was no center for the same movement among Seawolves. By bringing the magazine to students of Sonoma State, the team hopes to emphasize the ways in which the younger generations can contribute to society and become more inclusive and educated. 

“I was inspired to create a chapter of REVIVAL at Sonoma State because I don’t think our campus has ever had something like it before,” said Breeher. “Our publication, as written from the hands of underrepresented students, will give insight to social issues that Sonoma students face every day.”

The magazine is expected to look different in its debut year than it will in following years due to COVID-19. The team will be unable to do tabling or hang up flyers around campus as done previously at the parent chapter in UC Davis. The magazine is meant to be an online publication, but public outreach is sure to be cut short due to the circumstance of the pandemic. However, that is not belittling the passions and motivation of the team at REVIVAL. The leaders feel strongly about the duties that come with the magazine’s message.

“I want to help spread awareness of the inequalities of society, and I want to help create an environment that welcomes all shapes, sizes, sexualities, genders, and backgrounds,” said REVIVAL Public Relations Director Lydia Maldanado. “I want to inspire people who read our magazine to be who they are and love themselves, and for our magazine to bring some light into a world that has been seeing some really dark times lately.” 

The REVIVAL team also places an emphasis on giving back to the community. 

“We hope to participate in community service projects in the Sonoma County area,” said Breeher. 

Because of the pandemic, there are not a lot of safe opportunities to do so. The team hopes that by the spring semester the circumstances will change enough to allow members of the magazine to volunteer and get involved in community service and encourage others to do so.

“I hope that people are inspired to further educate themselves and take action to fight injustice they see at Sonoma State and within their own communities,” said Co-Vice President Akayla Miller. REVIVAL is taking a passion for social justice and turning it into a digestible, hands on learning experience for everyone in the community. 

“I cannot wait to see the growth and development of REVIVAL with a team that is so passionate about what we are doing,” said Maldanado. 

To find out more about REVIVAL or to get involved with the magazine, visit their instagram page at @therevivalzine.ssu.