Resources aimed to help those affected by the fire can be found all across the county

exc-5f8626952b71be35fbbf4f72
exc-5f8626952b71be35fbbf4f72

It’s wildfire season here in Sonoma County, and with it the threat of possible evacuations. The Glass Fire, which started around 4 a.m. on Sept. 27, has burned about 63,000 acres of land in the Sonoma and Napa counties. Sonoma county has been impacted by the fire with worsening air quality, red-flag warnings, and looming possible evacuations. 

For students, this means weeks of up-in-the-air plans while navigating the stress of midterms and online learning. This can be even more stressful for on-campus residents, as some Seawolves may not have many options outside of on-campus residence. The county, as well as Sonoma State University itself, has a multitude of resources for students in this trying time.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 3.12.04 PM.png

Perhaps the most important thing to remember when planning to evacuate is to be prepared. It can be difficult to know what to pack and what not to, especially if an individual has never been in this kind of situation. Luckily, the SoCo Emergency website has lots of important information on how to be prepared and how to stay in the know about everything going on in your area. Some of the most important aspects in being prepared are staying up to date with county updates, making a plan that involves medical information and maps a route of escape, and building a “go-bag” full of everything you’ll need. Important documents, tools, medications, flashlights, and first aid kits are among the essentials. Food, water, and extra clothes should provide “a minimum of 72 hours worth of essential supplies” as well. 

There are also Neighborhood Programs organized in Sonoma County that help citizens prepare for and cope with emergencies in their areas. Some of these include Citizens Organized to Prepare for Emergencies, Map Your Neighborhood, Listos, and Fire Safe Council. SoCo emergency also has resources and information available for those with access and functional needs. 

Sonoma county has many temporary evacuation points (TEP) and shelters prepared for uncertain moments such as this. According to SoCo Emergency as of Oct. 2, Petaluma Veteran’s Memorial Building and Santa Rosa Veterans Memorial Building are being utilized as shelters and TEPs. As for the Sonoma State Campus, Cabernet Village is being used as a Non-Congregate Shelter only. Shelter and TEP lists are updated daily on the SoCo Emergency website as some shelters become full or have a change in plans. 

Sonoma State University emailed students and faculty on Oct. 2, with more resources regarding fires in the county. According to the email, the faculty is offering for students who may need additional assistance to reach out to the Care Team, in which students will be able to fill out a Care Report and be guided in finding resources on and off campus. 

The email has a link attached which opens Sonoma State’s Basic Needs Initiative, which has countless resources for students including: food services, emergency housing and cash, mobile showers, immigration assistance, and more. The email also includes a link to a “3 Days Checklist” which lists everything an individual should pack for a three-day period in the event of an evacuation. 

Sonoma State also provided a link in the email to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, in which individuals can find tips and information on all kinds of natural disasters and emergencies. Homeland Security details what to do before, during, and after a wildfire evacuation. These tips include knowing your evacuation zone and route, what supplies to pack, and how to safely return home after it is okay to do so. 

For more information on emergency resources in the area, visit socoemergency.org/prepare or studentaffairs.sonoma.edu/basicneeds. To stay up to date on evacuation centers, visit socoemergency.org/emergency/wildfire/evacuation-centers.