SeawolvesLead: identity, social justice, and intersectional leadership

exc-5f86275c161d340f1e144c4a
exc-5f86275c161d340f1e144c4a

Sonoma State University alumni gathered with students to discuss life after college and how their time at the university has helped them find a career path at the SeawolvesLead discussion. The topics covered included identity, social justice, and intersectional leadership.

The event was held Oct. 2 from 6 p.m to 7:30 p.m, and was the third discussion of a webinar series hosted by Hannah Thomas, the leadership programs coordinator. Students were invited to attend this leadership conference where SSU alumnae shared their experiences of navigating life in their career fields through a panel discussion. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 3.12.46 PM.png

Thomas said, “SeawolvesLead is a series of programs designed to help students develop leadership skills while at Sonoma State that will equip them to become leaders in their respective communities and careers upon graduation.”

The event was created by Thomas with a, “…desire to develop a partnership with SSU alumni and the need to adapt our leadership program for the remote learning environment,” since the remainder of the school year is virtual. 

Panelists gave a brief introduction of themselves, stating their names, graduation year, current careers and their involvement at SSU when they were students. 

When asked why the alumna chose to participate,  Erina McCoy Tandy said, “I wanted to reinforce to students that the things they do outside of class at Sonoma State are just as important as the things they do in the classroom.When you attend events with alumni or other leaders, ask questions, network and connect you gain access. These events give you the cheat codes, the keys, the VIP passes that will clear the way for your next steps.”

The first topic that was discussed was intersectionality. Each panelist described what intersectionality was in their own words as well as how it has shaped their own identities. A majority of alumnus included how race and gender intersected. 

Jamila Dozier, an SSU alumna said, “I feel like my identity kinda has always been decided for me…going to Sonoma State helped me decide my life for me and understand what my identity meant for me in terms of how I moved through the world,” in response to the question. 

Similarly, other panelists agreed with how SSU really helped define their identities. In the beginning, alumni mentioned their involvement on campus. When talking about that topic, all included their student leadership roles that they held and how it shaped them, as well as what it did for them. Some of the clubs and organizations they were involved in included:  Join Us Making Progress (JUMP), Residential Life, and Peer Advising. 

Tandy said, “Student Leadership and involvement created a foundation for my career.”

An audience questioned followed. The student asked, “Was it intimidating looking for work at a non profit community or organization and what were some of the challenges you encountered?”

Elizabeth Esparza gave her experience and said, “..it depended on the nonprofit,” and followed by saying, “…the kind of nonprofits I have worked with are small, grassroots community organizations where the staff that I am on is five people.” She advised that volunteer work in the community and having familiarity in it would benefit their chances of working in a smaller organization.

Other questions came after such as, “What are some leadership skills that students should try to develop during their time at SSU?” or “How Seawolves can provide leadership or support for social movements or identity groups with which they don’t directly identify with?”

Answers varied from resilience, constantly learning, understanding your limits, active listening, accountability, transparency, and keeping an open mind. All panelists gave their answers based on what they learned in their careers and personal experiences.

The event focused on leadership in regards to identity, social justice, and intersectionality, and had all panelists involved all working in a field where these topics were consistently discussed.  This was to promote different paths students could take after their time at SSU. These events are held biweekly and all focus on different topics. The next one will be Oct. 13 from 6 pm-7 pm and will discuss leadership in education.