IFC and Panhellenic info nights give new students Greek Life insight

exc-601a4fb41b2b777f5c0a0b26
exc-601a4fb41b2b777f5c0a0b26

STAR // Taylor Clark

STAR // Taylor Clark

The importance of getting involved in a virtual world is at an all-time high with the announcement of virtual learning for the Spring 2021 term. Clubs and organizations are continuing to be creative by using online platforms to broadcast their messages to Sonoma State students.

Last week, Interfraternity and Panhellenic Councils hosted information nights for those who are interested in joining Greek life at Sonoma State University. These info nights gave students the opportunity to ask questions and learn about each chapter on campus.

In past years, students would meet chapter members in person. Fraternities would host events such as game nights, sports activities and barbecues. Sororities were known to hold a formal, themed recruitment weekend. With our current climate, in-person types of events are not able to happen. Greek organizations will be hosting all of their events virtually, over Zoom, to ensure safety precautions in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Although the process may look different than in the past, fraternities and sororities are still eager to meet new potential members to join their organizations.

When asked her thoughts on Panhellenic’s upcoming events, Greek life member and SSU student Abby Kyriakides said, “Even though we are online, we want to take this opportunity to get to know some amazing people. We will be hosting fun events virtually in order to hang out and meet more potential new members.”

Despite the challenges that Greek organizations have faced, they continue to be resilient in how they approach recruitment and rush processes. Chapters aim to make students feel as comfortable and as confident as possible. Greek life provides students with bonded friendship and a sense of community during virtual learning and the hardships of the current climate.

“We are trying to create a comfortable environment for girls to come meet our chapter,” Kyriakides added. “The structure of a virtual recruitment is the same as an in-person recruitment in that you will get the opportunity to talk to a few of our sisters and get to know more about our philanthropy and sisterhood.”

When asked about how her sorority has supported her in the past year, Kyriakides said, “Having virtual events and being able to see my sisters’ faces on zoom has made me appreciate them so much more. This time has shown me how great my support system is and it has been nice to know that I am not alone during this time.”

Fraternities and sororities not only give students a support system, but members are also able to take away leadership skills and professionalism that will stick with them forever.

When asked about the opportunities that being in a sorority gave her, former Panhellenic President Aubrie Russo said, “the ability to take on roles within a Greek organization not only gives you amazing experience to add to your resume, but also helps you navigate your personal interests, strengths, and even future career goals.”

Russo explained that her leadership positions taught her how to work in a team, communicate with others and solve problems efficiently. She also touched on the fact that the Greek community gave her best friends that shared the same values and interests as her.

The recruitment and rush processes can be intimidating for students who are unsure of what to expect. Russo’s advice for those who are interested is, “Try it out and know that what you put in, you will get out! Fraternity and Sorority Life is something that will absolutely reward you if you take the time to immerse yourself into it! The more you involve yourself and step out of your comfort zone, the more you will feel connected to those around you and gain true benefits from the organization.”

Interfraternity and Panhellenic Councils have a number of upcoming events for those that are interested beyond the initial info nights. An FSL Meet & Greet is scheduled for Wednesday, February 10th at 1:00 p.m. This will give students the chance to dive deeper into the philanthropy, sisterhood/brotherhood, and values of each national chapter. Attendees will also learn about more upcoming events, specific to the recruitment and rush processes.

While our world has changed during this pandemic, it is important to come together and find people who support and understand you. Greek life is truly a community that ties many students to Sonoma State and makes college feel like home.