Prospective leaders wanted for student government positions

exc-602335906b43471bd22ec571
exc-602335906b43471bd22ec571

Are you a natural-born leader who likes making decisions, while also having fun? If you answered yes, you should consider running for student government! The student government at Sonoma, also known as the Associated Students (AS), puts on fantastic events for the students all year round, as well as representing the student body.

The website boasts that they “provide students with community service opportunities through Join Us Making Progress (JUMP), co-curricular events and activities through Associated Students Productions (ASP), early childhood education and child development laboratory through the Children’s School and Student Government involvement opportunities.”

Specifically, the student government here at Sonoma State “exists to serve the students at Sonoma State University through awareness, advocacy, and representation. We also work to empower students of SSU to engage in shared governance, representing the student perspective to members of the campus community through leadership and active citizenship.”

The current Associated Students President Melissa Kadar was excited to share her experience, saying “I honestly wished I had heard of these opportunities sooner because it has changed my life for the better. The positions in Associated Students allow you to be a part of and drive the changes you would like to see at Sonoma State. “

Kadar recommends learning the ropes first, and stated that, “so many people think you can just run for President with no problem but there is so much to learn about the Associated Students, the university, and yourself. Starting off as a Senator and then going to Executive Vice-President and then President made me so much more successful at each level than if I had jumped right in.”

When asked about what the most rewarding and most difficult experience that AS has given her, Kadar said that “making changes on campus and working to make the lives of SSU students better. This year has definitely been the most challenging and has taught me a lot about leading a team in a time of crisis. Although it was hard to have my work, school, and home all in the same space, I have become a better leader because of it.”

Although her term landed in the midst of the pandemic, she was able to continue leading confidently from home throughout this dreadful time in our history.

Their Instagram page (@ssu_as) gives insight into what they have been doing during the pandemic, including posts about scholarships, fun virtual events, and more.

The student government body is made up of five executive officers and 11 senators, with all 16 being voting members. There is a senator for each school, as well as community affairs, diversity, involvement, student services, sustainability, and undeclared students. You work as a team representing your niche in the school, as well as your fellow students.

Info sessions are coming up, with the next one being Wednesday, February 10 at 4 p.m. The Zoom link for these info sessions are available on the Associated Students website, as well as through Seawolf Living. To apply, there are three easy steps: read the election codes on the AS website, fill out the application, and schedule a one-on-one meeting with a student advisor.

If you are interested in contributing to the ever-changing campus community, make sure to apply soon as applications close on February 16 at 11:45 pm. For more information, feel free to email the student government coordinator at [email protected].

144990365_376055497144727_5956608869439909506_n(1).jpg