Sonoma State kicks off the semester with a ‘Lil’ Big Nite celebration

exc-612ec4f8170dfd47ec79ee52
exc-612ec4f8170dfd47ec79ee52

The Associated Students of Sonoma State have come out swinging for the first full week back for students’ Fall 2021 semester. With our “welcome week” coming to a close, Associated Students hosted a modified version of the annual Big Nite celebration. The event kicked off at around 4 p.m on Aug. 27, including live music, photo booths, as well as tabling for clubs and greek life.   

With fun and engaging activities such as Mad Chad the chainsaw juggler, ziplining, and a funnel cake stand, one thing was very clear: Sonoma State is back and better than ever. Besides a mask requirement and much fewer activities than usual, Lil Big Nite had incorporated a sense of “normalcy” to make students feel comfortable while enjoying the event in the Seawolf Plaza and Pearson Lawn.

Nathan Yelle, a junior at Sonoma State, said that, “It was the first time people had gotten together for a school function, and it was nice to see everyone’s faces and reconnect with them to find out what they had done over the past year and a half.”  

Sonoma wasn’t just battling COVID, but seawolves were also battling the 94 degree heat. The heat and humidity might have been overwhelming with so many students packed into a tight space, but Associated Students were determined to continue with the first big event of the semester. However, the heat hardly took away from the 4 hour event. Events such as bull riding and a wipeout course were highlights throughout the event.

Billy White, a junior, stated that “the photo booth was the best part of Lil Big Nite, because you’re not just taking a photo, but you’re making a memory. These moments with new people are special, because you’re making new friends while you’re also making memories.”

Mad Chad the Chainsaw Juggler was the most memorable and popular event at Lil Big Nite, especially since so many students recognized him from their first year at SSU in 2018. While the title of “chainsaw juggler” is already crazy, Chad brings an energy and electricity to his juggling, as he was able to balance his way through juggling other dangerous items while keeping the energy up for students to see!

While carnival rides such as a ferris wheel were ultimately cut from the attraction lineup, additions of rides such as bull riding and a Wipeout-esque obstacle course made up for it. These attractions proved to be very popular among students.

Many students struggle to find their “group” at first, and having tabling for clubs and Greek life is a great way for students to get involved and make new friends. These tables are a great way to welcome students to the campus, and Lil Big Nite gave them a chance to find the types of extracurricular activities that they see fit.

Wren House, a member of the improv club, discussed the importance of clubs and tabling at events just like this one. “It’s really important [to table] because there are so many different clubs and organizations at SSU that a big majority of them aren’t known about. So events like Lil Big Nite where we can table helps us get the word out.”    

Overall, Lil Big Nite had proven to be a successful welcoming event for all students, new or returning. The Associated Students definitely deserve a lot of praise and applause for their ability to put together such a hit event following a global pandemic. For more information regarding upcoming events, feel free to visit seawolfliving.com for more information.

STAR // Ileana Aleman(Left to right) Nadia Hernandez, Adriana Gonzalez, Stephanie Lopez tabled for clubs and organizations, like JUMP and Associated Students.

STAR // Ileana Aleman

(Left to right) Nadia Hernandez, Adriana Gonzalez, Stephanie Lopez tabled for clubs and organizations, like JUMP and Associated Students.

STAR // Ileana AlemanStudents enjoyed events such as the Wipeout-esque obstacle course at Lil Big Nite.

STAR // Ileana Aleman

Students enjoyed events such as the Wipeout-esque obstacle course at Lil Big Nite.