Associated Students plans to host a number of events throughout September

exc-613837b6660de40e2e04e70d
exc-613837b6660de40e2e04e70d

After the success of ASP’s Lil Big Nite, many students may be wondering – what’s next? In the era of online classes and social distancing, it’s hard to find a way to get involved on campus without adding to school stress. There are hundreds of ways to get involved on campus but it can be hard to meet new people or even know where to start. Our Associated Students on campus make it their express mission that students feel welcome, safe and included in campus life. Most importantly, they are working hard this semester to bring us fun and lively events to get people out of the house and socializing with their peers again.

The goal of these events and the mission statement of AS is to provide “educational, community building and entertaining events” for the student body, says Maia Madrigal, one of six ASP Event Directors serving campus this year. Madrigal, a third year student at SSU, is most excited for Bowling Night, which happens on the first Thurs. of every month and has been SSU tradition for 8 years running. On that first Thurs., Double Decker Lanes is packed with students talking, laughing, and rolling some devastating gutter balls. From the moment you walk in you’re met with cheering, laughing and the unmissable Lobo the Seawolf dancing up and down past all the packed lanes. It is a great tradition that every student should experience at least once during their time at SSU. While the first bowling night has already passed just a week ago, there are many more lined up to attend before the end of the semester. 

Another event causing buzz in the AS department is the Fall Fest, which is happening on Oct. 22, starting at 5 p.m. It’s geared towards students living on campus who might not have access to a car or a way to make it to pumpkin patches and other Fall activities that pop up all around Sonoma County this time of year. The event will be all things autumn and cozy, and as Madrigal says, “it’s all about making campus feel welcoming and helping students feel really at home here.” So bring an apple-cider, bundle up, and bring your friends to a wonderfully cozy Fall experience. 

The other events for this month include: A virtual open mic night the 16thwhere students are encouraged to come and share original music, poetry and even comedy skits! On Sept. 21 at 6 p.m. AS is also hosting Disney drawing night where an artist will tune in via zoom and teach SSU students step by step how to draw iconic disney characters. The final September event is cupcake and comedy night with comedian Cristela Alonzo, the first Latina woman to create her own sitcom in 2014 and voice of “Cruz Ramirez” in Cars 3, which will be held on the 28 of this month at 7 p.m. Students will also get to ask Alonzo questions and have a lively meet and greet. Focusing on fun events, there is truly something for everyone. 

This semester will also include celebrations of Latinx Heritage Month, which ranges from Sept. 15 to Oct 15, where we honor the people, culture and civil rights movements in the Latinx community. ASP will be sponsoring related events for our Latinx students and anyone else who wants to attend and learn more about Latinx culture. The events include: a Lotería game night where students can enter and win cash prizes totalling 500 dollars, as well as a Zoom webinar welcoming the fearless labor activist and civil rights leader Dolores Huerta. Huerta, an American labor activist, co-founded the National Farmworkers Association, with Cesar Chavez, to bring better wages and working conditions to farm workers across the country. 

COURTESY // @ssu_asp on Instagram

SSU ASP is kicking off the Fall 2021 semester with a bang, and is hosting multiple events throughout the month of September for students to enjoy.