Seawolves Speak!: “How have you dealt with transitioning back to in-person classes?”

exc-61383946b7967a5b328a5926
exc-61383946b7967a5b328a5926

Almost a year and a half ago, students and faculty across the nation were forced to make the difficult transition to virtual learning, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For many, this adjustment was stressful and left them feeling unprepared. For those who already had experiences with online classes, the virtual world of learning was seemingly easier to navigate. By the end of the Spring ‘21 semester, some students had even come to prefer attending classes online. Online learning allows for more flexibility in one’s schedule and to fidget in class without having to worry about disrupting those around them. The challenges that presented themselves in the early stages of online learning were lack of motivation, a decline in mental health, bad internet connection, low attendance rates, and more. These barriers eventually fizzled out and became easier to deal with as this mode of learning became part of our “new normal”. With vaccination rates on the rise and the assumption that the COVID-19 pandemic was nearing the end, many students were left wondering what the next school year would look like. 

On March 1, the university sent out an email that said, “We look forward to welcoming you back to a re-energized campus that is safe, healthy, and follows local public health guidelines”. This news stirred up a mix of emotions and also shed some light on a rather somber college experience several Seawolves had experienced thus far. Many students were given the option to choose which mode of learning was the best fit for them. However, a portion of our student body were left with no choice but to commute from near and far due to required classes that are going through with in-person instruction. This year, roughly 43% of classes are being held in-person, The Kitchens and Sip are open for business, on top of the Recreation Center and library being open for students to use. After 17 long months of staring at computer screens, it is nice to finally be able to wave and smile at friends on the way to class. We visited the Seawolf Plaza and other on-campus facilities to ask some Seawolves how they are feeling about the transition back to in-person classes.

“The transition to in-person classes is exciting but difficult. It feels like I’m a freshman all over again because it’s a completely different set up than last year.” Cora Fernandez-Hamilton, Sophomore, Philosophy/Dance Major

“The transition to in-person classes is exciting but difficult. It feels like I’m a freshman all over again because it’s a completely different set up than last year.” 

Cora Fernandez-Hamilton, Sophomore, Philosophy/Dance Major

“It’s different because I can't just roll out of bed and go to class. I think in-person is better in general because I feel like I'm learning more instead of getting distracted by my phone.” Sean Pauly, Sophomore, Business Major

“It’s different because I can’t just roll out of bed and go to class. I think in-person is better in general because I feel like I’m learning more instead of getting distracted by my phone.” 

Sean Pauly, Sophomore, Business Major

“Since I only have one in-person class this semester, it is not too overwhelming for me. I learn better in person so it’s nice to have a small transition rather than having all classes in-person.”Cheyenne Dredge, Sophomore, Undeclared

“Since I only have one in-person class this semester, it is not too overwhelming for me. I learn better in person so it’s nice to have a small transition rather than having all classes in-person.”

Cheyenne Dredge, Sophomore, Undeclared

“Although it is refreshing to be back on campus, the only issue I’m having is time management just because I have a short window in-between my online classes to get to my in-person classes.” Andrew Vo, Junior, Communications Major

“Although it is refreshing to be back on campus, the only issue I’m having is time management just because I have a short window in-between my online classes to get to my in-person classes.” 

Andrew Vo, Junior, Communications Major

“It’s nice because we get to actually see people walking around. It’s more motivating because you see other people being productive and it’s easier to learn in-person.” Davina Bisha, Senior, Biology Major

“It’s nice because we get to actually see people walking around. It’s more motivating because you see other people being productive and it’s easier to learn in-person.” 

Davina Bisha, Senior, Biology Major

“The biggest transition has been having to focus more on what's actually happening in class because you can't look back at it later like you could with a recorded zoom class.” Dylan Leonard, Sophomore, Business Major

“The biggest transition has been having to focus more on what’s actually happening in class because you can’t look back at it later like you could with a recorded zoom class.” 

Dylan Leonard, Sophomore, Business Major