Makerspace unveils brand-new equipment, encouraging all students to create

exc-614139c67049a20f33761a0c
exc-614139c67049a20f33761a0c

The Makerspace, located on the first floor of the library, has undergone renovations to accommodate students and new-comers alike in glorious fashion. Just this past year, faculty at SSU have decided to add brand-new 3D printers named Ultimakers, that can create larger prints.

For years, SSU students have used the Makerspace as a place to 3D print, do arts and crafts, embroider, label, and a whole lot more. Now that the library is open following the COVID-19 pandemic, students are welcomed back to the Makerspace safely as well. The Makerspace has always been known as a place to “dream, make, and innovate” on campus, but has been seemingly overlooked and undervalued for years. With new tools and upgrades, the library hopes to make the space a welcoming and exciting space for students to visit and let their creativity shine through.

Alexis Renelle, a student at SSU and library staff, stated that “Ultimakers allow students to make bigger 3D prints.” These brand-new 3D printers are truly the highlight for students who are looking to bring their creations to life. 3D printers were always the most popular attraction in the Makerspace, and adding two more will be sure to bring in interested students. With new innovations and upgrades, the Makerspace welcomes all students to try something new and create something interesting today.

Purchased for SSU through funding from a grant from the National Science Foundation, the Makerspace has helped students and faculty to innovate, create, and build, for years. Their overarching goal is to “encourage creativity and inquiry,” as well as “facilitate cross-disciplinary collaboration,” which they have been doing for years by offering their space to students all around campus.

Another new addition to the Makerspace are sewing and engraving machines. Sonoma State has added a Brother embroidering machine, as well as two Viking sewing machines. With brand-new sewing machines and an embroidering machine, students are able to use the Makerspace to embroider clothes and fabrics, as well as sew them together. These additions just add to the types of crafts that students can create, as well as allowing them to find new hobbies and interests.

Meghan Berggren, a third-year at SSU, stated that “it’s nice that SSU has added so much to the Makerspace. I also really enjoyed learning how to sew with the new sewing machines this past summer.” Berggren was able to use the Makerspace to learn how to sew, and she has picked up a brand-new hobby in the process where she will continue to put together her own types of garments and clothing.

While the Makerspace is free for all students to use, all students are expected to follow the library conduct policies, as well as using the equipment in the Makerspace in the safest fashion possible. Whenever training is available, students are encouraged to attend as a way to avoid injury from using these brand new machines.

The library at SSU welcomes all students to unleash their creativity in the Makerspace, where they are now able to embroider, sew, 3D print, and more. Aiming to continue to innovate with new technologies, the Makerspace looks forward to future upgrades to allow students a chance to find their new passions.

STAR // Genesis BotelloComputer science major Dana Conard uses the Vive VR equipment in the Makerspace to paint in VR.

STAR // Genesis Botello

Computer science major Dana Conard uses the Vive VR equipment in the Makerspace to paint in VR.