Sonoma State holds spirituality fair for all students to find community through religion

exc-614a78b75111be3e7bfc8a94
exc-614a78b75111be3e7bfc8a94

On Sept. 15, Sonoma State held a spirituality fair for all students, religious or non-religious, who are looking to identify with their like-minded peers. There were booths tabling in the Seawolf Plaza, expressing their beliefs and teaching curious minds about what faith they stand for and believe in. Each table was representative of a different religious belief for different groups, and it allowed for people from all walks of life to observe and celebrate their religion or learn about faith through the multiple channels that were offered throughout the hour and a half event.

Many of the booths served as mediums for the faith that people were expressing, such as Catholicism, Christianity, and Baha’i faith. Some tables had pamphlets, others had activities, but all had a yearning to enrich students with their boundless knowledge of the subject they were teaching. The Student Involvement table had opportunities to win prizes, such as a salt lamp and other smaller items, like a foam finger or a lanyard. Other tables included The SSU Bible Club, The Mahakaruna Kadampa Buddhist Center, and the Sonoma County Tenants union to name a few.

One table had a small activity for students who approached it called “Stump the Pastor,” where students were encouraged to ask a question concerning God or the son of God. If the pastors at the table were stumped a student would have the chance to win a $20 Starbucks gift card, courtesy of Reverend Lindsey Bell-Kerr.

The STAR asked Reverend Lindsey about the importance of tabling at an event and what their game Stump the Pastor represents. “It is important that students know that people in the wider community care about them. That’s the main reason that I show up at SSU, and why I have formed OpenTable SSU. Along with faith leaders showing up for students, it is important for students to have spaces where they can show up for each other. For me, faith is more about asking questions and living into mystery than it is about having answers. So, my hope with “Stump the Pastor” was to get students asking questions … Most of the questions they had were about the intersection of faith and science, the place of the divine in an imperfect world, and how people of different religions relate to each other.”

Every student that visited the Spirituality fair was understandably excited to share their views and interests in faith, with some tables offering a small stamp to further entice students to come talk with them and learn a bit more about their respective faiths. The stamp encouraged students to engage with each table and stamp a small bingo card that would enter them into a raffle to win a salt lamp. 

Another notable student-run organization in attendance was the SSU Bible Club, and they were promoting their “Feasting Friday” event that they hold every Friday across the street near 7-11 at 6:00 p.m., which consists of a dinner and fellowship. When asked about their message and what they want to convey, both at the fair and in their engaging events, they said that, “We are there to show that we are club on campus where you can just come as you are, without any requirements from you, and learn about what it really means to become a Christian, and to enjoy fellowship and community with your fellow Seawolves.”

The spirituality fair was an interesting experience for everyone, with raffles and items that could be received if they went to the different tables. Sonoma State has always been an inclusive campus, but the Spirituality fair is further proof Sonoma State strives to make all of our students feel safe and encourages finding community and inclusivity no matter your beliefs.

COURTESY // sonoma.eduSonoma State welcomes students that identify with all types of different faiths to share their knowledge and beliefs with other students at the spirituality fair.

COURTESY // sonoma.edu

Sonoma State welcomes students that identify with all types of different faiths to share their knowledge and beliefs with other students at the spirituality fair.