“Fall Fest” kicks off as Autumn is in full swing

exc-6178b90d9908e85ca5b2feba
exc-6178b90d9908e85ca5b2feba

With echoing music in Parking Lot D as students approached, the autumn weather was in full bloom, timed perfectly for the night’s event. The Fall Fest took place on Friday, Oct. 22, complete with festive activities for students to participate in and different food options as well. 

Boasting a visit from a live DJ, funnel cake and Dippin’ Dots stand, pizza, carnival games, lawn games, pumpkin painting, and a costume contest, the Fall Fest was packed full of features for students to enjoy. 

“A lot of hard work and a lot of planning [went into] our Fall Fest event… So students [could be] able to celebrate Fall. Instead of [them] going to a pumpkin patch, we wanted to bring one here, so people don’t have to drive somewhere. We really wanted to make it a carnival theme, [so] we added a few carnival games as well. Our DJ we had at Sweet Escapes, so we wanted to bring him back again,” said Paige Carter and Maia Madrigal, who are both third-years at SSU and co-coordinators of the Fall Fest.

When asked what their favorite part of the event was, it was a quick and definitive answer for Luis Marquez, a fourth-year SSU student, “The food!” Steven Altadonna, a fifth-year SSU student, mentioned that their favorite part of the event was the games. “I think [events like these] are good for everybody,” they added. 

“It was a pretty good turn out… the Dippin’ Dots and pizza ran out really quick, which is good. The funnel cake is still standing. I think people enjoyed the booths…“ said Molly Clemons, a third-year SSU student, who was working at the pumpkin painting tables. When asked if events like these are important for students, Clemons replied, “I think so, especially with the holidays. It keeps stuff festive, and with the seasonal changes… keeps it lively [and] encourages people to socialize.”

When asked what went into the event, Madrigal laughed and said, “A lot of paperwork! When you plan big events like this, [there are] a lot of little details that you have to think about. That’s where Paige and I spent most of our time… It’s thinking, as a student, what would you want to see? [That] is what I think is really cool about ASP, it’s basically ‘students programming for students’. I know students are going to want pizza and Dippin’ Dots, not fancy food or anything.”

Although on-campus events look different due to the COVID-19 pandemic affecting all students’ day-to-day lives, these types of events give students the opportunity to get involved on campus and socialize safely.

“I think it really is important for students to still socialize during these times, and not really feel alone. I’ve seen a lot of people come in groups, and join groups, so I definitely think these types of events are really good for students to socialize,” said Tucker Jensen, a third-year SSU student. Jensen is also part of the team of students that helped to set up the event.

“…When we started working in this job [at ASP], we talked about what our goals for the semester were. We’ve all been home for a year and a half, at least. So we want to bring these events to show students we’re slowly getting back to normal. Yes, we still have extra screenings and masks, but we are all still here together, and we’re all still a community. A lot of our events are about community building,” said Madrigal.

Location was also a factor for Carter and Madrigal when planning the Fall Fest. Carter stated that she “…liked having the events here at Parking Lot D  because it’s so close to the dorms… the students can hear the music… [They] can walk over and see what’s going on. I think it’s really important for students to socialize just because of Covid… Being locked up in quarantine and isolation for so long, I think people kind of forgot how to socialize… that’s why we really want to have big events like this so people can either socialize or just have fun with their roommates or friends, get the chance to know people and the vibe here at Sonoma.”

STAR // Ileana Aleman

Haley Theaker (left) and Chris Sonntag (right) painted Halloween themed signs at Fall Fest.

STAR // Ileana Aleman

Students at ASP’s Fall Fest had a chance to take pictures at the mini-pumpkin patch individually, as well as in groups.