Campus organizations participate in a hybrid-format Alcohol Awareness Week

exc-6181dedffbbf585cc56e6524
exc-6181dedffbbf585cc56e6524

This past week, Sonoma State partnered with other on-campus organizations to host a number of events for Alcohol Awareness Week. These events were presented by the SSU Alcohol and Other Drug Committee, and were held to inform students of the dangers and realities of alcohol and drug abuse. The committee also aimed to give students safer alternatives, and provided many fun and interactive events throughout the week.

Events throughout this week were in “hybrid format”, with an even mix of both in-person and virtual events. An example of a virtual event was a presentation titled “Recognizing the Signs of Marijuana and Prescription Drug Abuse”, aiming to educate students on the effects of abusing these substances. 

Along with educational events, students were also offered a number of fun events to attend, such as the “DIY Crafts of the Week” event. At this particular event, the campus community was encouraged to carve pumpkins and create a multitude of crafts. Students were also encouraged to show off their singing skills with the “Scary-oke” event.

While most events were interactive, a staple for Alcohol Awareness Week is the red flag display on the Person Lawn. These flags were a symbol to represent the 1824 students that have died from alcohol-related incidents throughout each school year. This display was meant to catch the attention of those on campus and bring awareness to the severity of unsafe alcohol usage. 

A college is a place where students continue their careers in academia, as well as a place where they learn to become independent, budget, manage their time, and many other skills that they take with them into adulthood. Sergeant Neal R. MacKenzie of the Sonoma State University Police spoke with students at a presentation during the week. He believes that,“alcohol and other drug use is a concern in any community, but especially on a university campus. The Sonoma State Police Department regularly responds to individuals that are under the influence, driving under the influence, or suffering from the effects of alcohol and other drug use. We understand that individuals want to be social and have fun, however, drinking in college is not a given. It doesn’t have to be a rite of passage. The stereotype of heavy drinking in college is not a reality for most Sonoma State students, and most students don’t drink, or drink at very moderate levels. We hope those that do choose to drink or use other drugs do so without putting themselves or others at risk.”

Drinking alcohol is considered a “norm” on many college campuses, whether it be with friends or at social gatherings, on and off-campus. Having a week like Alcohol Awareness week is usually in an effort to deter the number of negative incidents that occur while under the influence. By hosting “alcohol alternative” events, students can participate in other activities to substitute drinking. The week-long event served to inform students on how to consume alcohol safely, rather than to deem it completely “taboo”. 

Mackenzie also went on to state that, “there are legal and disciplinary consequences for underage drinking, DUI, illegal drug use, and other criminal acts involving alcohol. There are ways to drink without binging or blacking out, experimenting without putting oneself at risk for synergistic overdose, and having fun while still taking care of themselves and those around them. On top of this, it is dangerous to assume the person will be fine by sleeping it off.”

Gisela Ruiz, who is the mother of a student at SSU, feels that having a week to bring awareness to the side effects of alcohol abuse is essential for the student population. After seeing the red flag display, she stated that “many young people feel that they are invincible like nothing can hurt them, so sharing the effects of alcohol abuse is important. I also think that it is normal to drink in college, so providing students with information about it can help them make smarter decisions.”

Students are encouraged to be safe with their decisions and consume alcohol responsibly, and Alcohol Awareness Week aims to educate the campus community on the severity of doing so. By taking the tips provided by Sergeant MacKenzie, as well as all the information provided throughout the week, students should be ready to be proactive about their safety and help to keep their peers on the right track.

STAR // Nicholas Roth

The Red Flags wave in solidarity while students walk around campus. These flags represent the 19% of college students who struggle with alcohol abuse each year.