ASP hosts “Friday Night Live” event

exc-618b0cb05fd92d3172cf6947
exc-618b0cb05fd92d3172cf6947

Just this past week, SSU kicked off Friday Night Live, which is an interactive and exciting event hosted in the Seawolf Plaza. Extended into Weyden and Brewster’s, Friday Night Live’s trivia night awarded a number of prizes to lucky winners, all consisting of Sonoma State gear. Four rounds of trivia via Kahoot! left Henry Hartwell, freshman and newcomer, victor of the night. Events just like this one aim to get students involved with the campus, as well as give students a social night out with friends.

The theme of the night was centered around foreign countries, and Hartwell was able to clinch the win on a trivia round about the seven ancient wonders of the world. “This is actually the first time I’ve come to an event like this,” said Hartwell. When asked whether or not he would come back, Hartwell replied, “Definitely.” For winning first place, Hartwell won a blue Seawolf duffle bag. 

The two runners-up were two second-year students, Robert Wiles and Jennifer Martuscelli, who are part of a larger group of students that came to the last trivia night and other Friday night events on campus. “We try to go to all the different trivia events going on on campus,” said Martuscelli. “It makes me feel smart and I just like to chill,” joked Wiles.

SSU Friday Nights are weekly events hosted by Residential Advisors (RAs) to help students living on campus to become more active in the community by creating bonds with their neighbors, meeting new people, and forming relationships with their RAs. The other types of events held during Friday Night Live included Movies on Lobovision, and Open Mic nights, which have both proven to be favorites among students.

The event was hosted by third-year Residential Advisors Natalie Roberts and Jamairé Limbrick, as well as Hailey Glass from Student Involvement. Student Involvement (SI) helps and organizes many of the clubs and organizations on campus, including Greek life on campus. SI caters to all of the 120 different organizations and clubs on campus. They also list resources on their website related to club financing, obtaining grants, and the necessary paperwork needed for chartering and travel.

“We put on a lot of weekend events as well,” said Hailey Glass on the responsibilities of working in Student Involvement. “The one tonight (Trivia), Craft Nights on Saturdays, and fairs in the plaza as well are just a few that Student Involvement hold for students..”

“[Friday Night Live] is also an opportunity for RAs to connect with their residents,” said Natalie Roberts, who also served as one of the trivia night hosts. “It can help residents become more comfortable with branching out and going to more events on campus.” 

One of the more popular events, Craft Night, takes place at 7 p.m. on Sat., at Weyden and Brewster’s. Materials are supplied by Student Involvement and participants are given free rein to what they can create. Past projects have included terrariums, mug painting, pumpkin carving, and even ornaments in time for the holidays. “It’s a great way to destress, have fun, meet new people, and bond with students on campus,” Says Roberts on Craft Nights. 

On Nov. 12, Friday Night Live will be hosting an Open Mic Night, which will also be taking place at Weyden and Brewster’s starting at 8:00 p.m., and lasting until 10 p.m. Open Mic Night will be hosted by Student Involvement and ASP.

Weekly emails are sent out containing a list of the week’s events as well as events done by your own village RA. Friday Night Lives have proven to be a favorite for students, and serve as a great way for students to make the most of their college experience while interacting with the campus community. For more information, students can follow @seawolfliving on social media or visit the Seawolf Living and ASP websites for future events being hosted by SSU’s on-campus organizations. 

STAR // Isaac Lopez

During Friday Night Live, students were able to bring home the rewards and prizes that they won following the Kahoot! trivia night. This is one of many events hosted through Associated Students throughout the month of November.