Paint & Sip returns for Transgender Awareness Week

exc-61a6cfbf6fd4da066c7f5a3d
exc-61a6cfbf6fd4da066c7f5a3d

As the end of the semester is nearing and finals week looms ahead for the students of Sonoma State, many students are looking for ways to destress and get their minds off of the work they have to get done. Associated Student Productions have been working hard to provide events for students to participate in all semester long, and they provided the second Paint & Sip event of the semester on Nov. 18. This event was during Transgender Awareness Week, so all students were painting with exclusive blue, pink, and white paints.

The event had two different sessions, one at 6 p.m. and the other starting at 8 p.m., so students were allowed to choose whatever time works best for them. With Weyden & Brewsters’ being closed throughout the Fall 2021 semester, ASP has used the building as an open space to sprawl out and allow students to attend various events. Associated Student Productions provided snacks and drinks, such as coffee, lemonade and Bubbly sparkling water, for all those who attended.

At each Paint and Sip event, Associated Student Productions has an artist come in to lead the painting and crafting. The artist does this step by step to make it easy for all students to follow along. They do this so all students, regardless of artistic ability, can have a fun and easy time painting. 

“Our expectations for this event are for students to have fun,” said ASP event director Mariah Madrigal-Hernandez, who put on the event. “All of our events are created for students to have fun things to do on campus and better their college experience.”

This week’s Paint & Sip only provided student artists with the colors pink, blue, and white to paint with, in an effort to show the school’s solidarity and support for Transgender Awareness Week.

While this event serves as a conclusion to the Paint & Sip events that have been hosted throughout the semester, it will be back in the following semester by popular demand. However, Associated Students will be providing students with a few more fun and interactive activities throughout the remainder of the semester.

On December 1, ASP will host an event called “Tunes at Noon” on the Person Lawn. At this event, Big Blue Soul Revue, a jazz band, will be performing live. Along with the band ASP will be providing SSU t-shirts for students to tye-dye and take home for themselves. On the same day, ASP will also be offering a “Stress-Free Sweets” event from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Ballroom D of the Student Center. Students will be able to enjoy holiday-themed treats, like ice cream sandwiches and hot chocolate, after showing their SSU ID card as a way to unwind for the holiday season. The following day, Dec. 2, there will be the last free bowling night of the semester, which will take place at Double Decker Lanes from 10 p.m. to midnight. Last but not least, ASP will be putting on a drive-in holiday movie night in Parking Lot F on-campus, where they will be screening the classic Christmas movie “Elf” starting at 9 p.m. Be sure to take part in some of the final Associated Students events throughout the remainder of the semester, and stay tuned for more events throughout the Spring 2022 semester.

Be sure to check out the seawolf living webpage to learn more about Paint & Sip events and others that will take place in the future. In the spring semester SSU will be integrating more in-person events, and students will see the return of some events from previous years.

STAR // Adrienne Moon

Freshman Christina and Chrystal share their paintings after attending Associated Students’ popular Paint & Sip event.

STAR // Adrienne Moon

Artistic students paint with pink, blue, and white in solidarity of Transgender Awareness Week during ASP’s Paint & Sip event.