CAPS offers virtual drop-in support groups

exc-620b67b194673a4ebb829209
exc-620b67b194673a4ebb829209

A majority of the time, college students face similar challenges throughout their college career, whether it’s stress and anxiety from school or feeling nervous about what the future will bring with all the uncertainty in the world. 

The Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at Sonoma State is happy to announce that they will be offering support through four virtual drop-in support groups. The events began on Feb. 7 and will continue throughout the Spring 2022 semester.

These support groups were formed as a way to help Sonoma State students realize that they don’t have to take on difficult challenges on their own by giving them a space to come together and share those experiences. CAPS is here to support all SSU students and these groups are just a few of the ways that they positively impact our community. 

CAPS will be hosting “What To Know About Not Knowing Group: Thriving Through Uncertainty” on Friday’s 12 p.m noon to 12:50 p.m. This drop-in group will focus on students sharing their experiences of balancing the challenges that come with COVID-19 and their coursework. It is meant to be a supportive place where seawolves come together and share how they have coped with difficult situations posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“Together, we will work through issues such as COVID, Decision and Change fatigue, isolation, FOMO (fear of missing out), grief and loss, along with anxiety about one’s health, our loved ones and the future, ” said Courtney Avvampato, staff psychologist at CAPS. 

The second drop-in group that CAPS will be hosting is “Fidget To Focus: An ADHD and Learning Skills Support Group” which will take place Wednesdays from 1 p.m to 1:50 pm. This drop-in group will focus on helping students deal with and manage ADHD and is open to all students that are interested in learning skills and techniques on how to stay on track with their academics. 

A formal ADHD diagnosis is not necessary for this group as “the main topics of conversation concern organization and maintaining motivation to complete assignments whether it be school or life-related. This group can be a great space for anyone struggling to stay on top of their academic schedule,” said Avvampato. 

The third drop-in group that CAPS will be hosting this semester is the “Common Thread: LGBTQIA+ Support group” which is scheduled to take place on Wednesdays from 3 p.m to 3:50 p.m. This group will serve as a safe space for Sonoma State students to come together and be themselves while also receiving support from those around them. 

Avvampato said, “This group is designed to provide a supportive, affirming and confidential space for SSU students of LGBTQIA+ lived experience, including those who are questioning, to share common experiences and deepen their self-understanding,” 

The fourth group that CAPs will be hosting this semester is “The Mindful Self-Compassion Group”. 

“Come experience a variety of self-care and mindfulness practices to enhance well-being, feel more centered in the face of difficult situations, and cope with anxiety, stress, and challenging emotions,” said Avvampato. 

This group will take place on Mondays from 2 p.m to 2:50 p.m and focuses on Sonoma state students learning about how to show compassion for themselves and others during difficult times. It will teach students how to tackle difficult situations throughout their day-to-day lives.

To find more information on the support groups or how to join, make sure to visit http://caps.sonoma.edu/groups-workshops. CAPS additionally welcomes students to share ideas they have for a support group.

COURTESY // @caps_ssu