WiCS club aims to empower interested students

exc-6227a7ef0be3a25fe7c4b632
exc-6227a7ef0be3a25fe7c4b632

The Women in Computer Science club (WiCS) is one of the most diverse clubs we have on campus. The WiCS club promotes the participation of Sonoma State students to pursue interests in computer science. 

Although their name may suggest otherwise, this club is open to all genders. WiCS prides themselves in their diversity and their embracing of all cultures and backgrounds. This club gives members the opportunity to make connections outside of their ordinary classrooms. The club also allows guest speakers, who are often alumni from Sonoma State, to give insight on their jobs they have been offered due to serving time in the club or having a degree in computer science.

They additionally have other guest speakers come in to talk about upcoming internships and other opportunities for their companies. Big technology companies like Intel, and Google are offering internships for computer science concentrated students. This gives inspiration to the undergraduates in the club to keep striving to graduate and to pursue any career they would like after graduation. 

The president of WiCS, fifth year Katie Pell, who is double majoring in computer science and applied math said her favorite part in being a part of the club is, “Being able to connect with so many people that I wouldn’t have otherwise been able to meet and spend time with.”

Many students in the club share similar experiences and have created a strong bond among fellow club members. Vice President Haley Jogger, a second year who is majoring in computer science, had this to say about the club, “my favorite part of WiCS club so far has been getting involved and meeting new people. Also, I like getting to see a lot of different people’s perspectives when we begin coding.” 

Not only does WiCS create opportunities for connections within the club, it also permits members to participate in competitions and meet members from other schools. 

Kate Trombetta, a fourth year computer science major said, “my most memorable experience being a part of the WiCS club so far was definitely last semester when we took part in the hack-a-thon. We took third place and won a cash prize which went straight to the funding of our club. This was the first time I had ever done a hack-a-thon and it was fun to work as a team to try and build the skills necessary to decipher the codes given to us.” 

The money they received is going to help them host events through this semester and hopefully draw the attention of more students. In two weeks WiCS will be hosting a create your own portfolio with the GetHub hosting website. Dr. Sheldman, from NASA, will be coming in and teaching club members how to make their own portfolio websites. Dr. Sheldman will also be critiquing students’ existing resumes and showing how to make them more appealing for future employers.  Some other upcoming events that WiCS will be hosting throughout the rest of the semester include, a pizza party and a hack-a-thon later in April, as well as a capture the flag event in May.

Through business connections, internship opportunities, lifetime friendships, and fun events to attend, WiCS is a great opportunity to be immersed into the Seawolf community. The club meets bi-weekly on Fri. from 1-2 p.m. on Zoom. Head to https://engage.sonoma.edu/organization/women-in-computer-science-club for more information on WiCS.

COURTESY// Facebook

WiCS creates opportunities for students to explore opportunities in computer science.