Highly anticipated Lip Jam returns to SSU

exc-624c7d8d30c1fa1875c6a4e1
exc-624c7d8d30c1fa1875c6a4e1

Sonoma State’s Greek Life is a big part of the campus community. Every year, Alpha Gamma Delta (AGD), one of the many sororities on campus, puts on their philanthropic event called Lip Jam. During this event each sorority and fraternity compete in a lip-sync battle, performing to popular bands, soundtracks and artists to win the title of Lip Jam champion. The event is held at the Green Music Center and proceeds raised from this event go towards their philanthropy. 

Lip Jam is one of the most anticipated philanthropy events at Sonoma State and is the highlight of many college students’ experiences. Students, friends and family are all encouraged to attend each year and are able to purchase tickets. 

This year’s coordinators for the event were third year students, Annie Watts and Chrissy Young. Putting on such a large event takes tireless hours of planning, practicing and dedication, which they have put in to produce a great show.

“What I love about Lip Jam is how it brings our whole campus together and how all of Greek Life at Sonoma supports not only our chapter but our philanthropy. I’m going to miss the bonding we all experience as we learn our dances. Even though it’s stressful at times it’s worth every moment,” said senior AGD member Lena Weingand. 

Weeks prior to the event, the fraternities and sororities partake in a tabling event in Seawolf Plaza called Penny Wars, which encourages them to raise the most money to be able to choose the band of their choice to perform on stage. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Lip Jam was not able to happen over the 2020-2021 school year, so many seniors felt bittersweet about their last performance.

Ambar Gutierrez, a senior in AGD shared her experience participating in Lip Jam: “I was really excited to be able to participate in this year’s Lip Jam especially since there hasn’t been one since the pandemic. Practicing for the senior dance was probably my favorite thing leading up to the big night because I got a lot closer with my sisters.” Her experience was similar to the rest of the seniors in the chapter, “Lip Jam, much like the rest of the semester, has felt really bittersweet. It’s going to be really strange being graduated and not participating in something I’ve grown accustomed to,” said Gutierrez. 

The show kicks off with the new members of AGD performing their own piece, followed by the seniors performing at the end of the show. Some of the bands for this year’s performance included Maroon 5, ABBA, Queen, The Jackson 5 and the Cheetah Girls. Each sorority and fraternity dedicates their time learning choreography and practicing for long hours to perfect their performance. 

The highlight of this year’s show was a performance by Luke Wallace, a member of Sigma Lambda Beta and one of this year’s MC’s. For the first time in Lip Jam history, he performed solo. The audience didn’t hesitate to cheer him on as he danced across the stage representing his chapter in a one man show. 

Alpha Epsilon Pi won over the hearts of the people for people’s choice, performing to The Jackson 5. Students, friends and family were able to donate directly to the group they believed should win people’s choice. Pi Kappa Phi, who performed to One Direction won the small group award and Alpha Delta Pi, performing The Cheetah Girls, took home the large group title.  

Lip Jam remains one of the most exciting events that members of Greek Life look forward to every year. Year after year, the sororities and fraternities bring more energy than the last. 

“What I loved the most about Lip Jam this year was seeing the genuine excitement from performers, AGD’s, friends and family. It was a feeling I haven’t felt since the last Lip Jam and it’s a good reminder of why I joined AGD in the first place,” said third year Izzy Lunderman.

With Lip Jam 2022 coming to a close, girls of Alpha Gamma Delta took to their instagram to share their gratitude, “Thank you to all the performers, our alumni and our friends and family for all the support, we could not do this without you”.

COURTESY // @pinkers05 on Instagram

Alpha Delta Pi performed to song by The Cheetah Girl’s. The sorority ended up as Lip Jam champions.